UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN MEDICAL FOUNDATION
CLINICAL POLICY AND PROCEDURE
TITLE: REMICADE INFUSION
SCHEDULING and PATIENT INSTRUCTION
Effective Date: October, 2005 Approval: See Authorization
Supersedes Protocol: None Contact: Clinical Staff Education
Reviewed March 2008 May 2010 September 2012
PURPOSE: To provide guidelines for UWMF patients to receive a Remicade Infusion.
DEFINITION: Remicade is an IV medication used for the treatment of Crohn’s Disease or Ulcerative Colitis.
POLICY: Staff will utilize the following guidelines to schedule a patient for a Remicade Infusion.
1. Remicade Infusion is given at Meriter Hospital Atrium, 2nd floor (417-6109)
o Monday through Thursday, 8am to 2 pm
o Friday: No later than 2pm
o No holidays
2. Check with ordering physician to see if pt needs to be pre-medicated with prednisone 2 days prior to
3. Patient needs TB skin test and Hepatitis B panel prior to starting infusion
NOTE: TB test has to be within one year
4. Patients will need to have a recent (within 24 hours) physical done by a GI-provider.
1. Check provider’s order and clarify any inconsistencies.
2. Call Meriter to arrange for infusion time
3. Schedule patient for screening History & Physical with GI provider at 20 South Park Street clinic 30 to 60
minutes prior to infusion time.
4. Call admissions at Meriter Outpatient Registration 417-6020 with the patient’s name, date, time and
Provider will place order and H&P information in Meriter Epic system
1. Patient will call if having concerning signs and symptoms.
2. Schedule follow-up appointment following the Remicade infusion (if indicated by provider).
WRITTEN BY: Ronnie Peterson, R.N., M.S., Manager of Clinical Support
REVIEWED BY: Laurie Woodhouse, Manager, UWMF Gastroenterology
REVISED BY: Carol Decker, RN, MSN, Clinical Staff Educator
Division of Gastroenterology & Hepatology Date
Medical Director Date