Established Date: January 2001
Effective Date: January 2018
Title: Disposal of Regulated Medical Waste Policy Number: 3.07
Electronically Approved By: Michael E. Anderson, PA-C Anthony M. D’Alessandro, M.D.
Executive Director Medical Director
Page 1 of 1
The purpose of this policy is to ensure safe and proper disposal of regulated medical waste for the
University of Wisconsin Organ and Tissue Donation (UW OTD). UW OTD regulated medical waste includes
solid organs, tissues, and blood.
Organ and Tissue Discard Form
A. Regulated medical waste will be disposed of in a manner consistent with all University of
Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (UWHC) standards and all federal and state regulations as
B. Solid Organ Disposal
1. A UW OTD surgical recovery coordinator (SRC) will place the organ into two red plastic
2. The specimen will be clearly labeled with a description of the contents and “for disposal
3. The SRC will complete the Organ and Tissue Discard Form.
i. A copy of the form will be filed in the UW OTD patient record.
ii. The original form will be secured to the outermost bag of the container holding
4. The SRC will deliver the organ to UWHC Surgical Pathology (Wisconsin Institutes for
Medical Research (WIMR) building) for disposal.
C. Blood and Tissue Disposal
1. Blood tubes will be discarded in a UWHC sharps disposal container.
2. Tissue specimens, (spleen, nodes, tissues) will be discarded in a UWHC biohazard trash
3. A SRC will complete the Organ and Tissue Discard Form and the original form will be filed
in the UW OTD regulated medical waste disposal log.
D. The UW OTD regulated medical waste disposal log will be kept in the UW OTD laboratory.