UWMF Physician Parental Leave of Absence Policy
1. This policy will apply to all Class 1
Physicians employed through UWMF, who do not accrue
any earned time off (vacation, sick leave, etc) benefits from UWMF.
2. Physicians utilizing this policy must have been employed by UWMF for at least one year
(minimum of 1000 hours worked) to utilize this benefit. This policy also applies to physicians
on guaranteed compensation.
3. “Parental Leave” may only be taken for the following reasons:
a. Birth of a child
b. Adoption of a child or placement of a foster child.
4. Given that physicians are paid through their medical department’s compensation plans and
receive a base salary from the UW Medical School, payments received under this policy refer
only to the components coming through UWMF.
5. The total amount of leave time available would be the FMLA guideline of up to 12 weeks
during a 12-month period. However, eligibility for payment for this leave would be equal 2/3
of the physician’s monthly UWMF salary up to a $15,000 maximum for a 6-week period. The
remainder of the 12 week leave would be unpaid.
6. Actual time away from work is to be determined by the physician and his/her department,
under guidance of FMLA and other regulations, and departmental processes and procedures.
Physicians returning to work on a limited basis, or for hours less than their normal schedule,
will have payments adjusted accordingly.
7. UWMF HR should receive notice of the physician’s intent to take leave at least 30 days prior
to anticipated date of absence.
8. As required under FMLA, medical or other certification is required for payment of this leave.
9. Requests for additional consideration or appeals of determinations of the terms of this policy
should follow the physician’s Department compensation plan appeal process; with the final
determination being made by the UWMF Compensation Committee.
10. This policy is effective July 1, 2004; and will be reviewed annually by the UWMF
11. The administration of this policy shall follow the University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation’s
philosophy to not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or sexual preference,
national origin, disability or any other characteristics protected by local, state or federal
ordinance, law or regulations.
Class 1 Physician as defined under the UWMF Fringe Benefit Policy, approved by the Compensation and
Benefits Committee, February, 1996