Administrative Departmental Policy
This department-specific policy applies to the operations and staff of the Information Services
Department of the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority as integrated effective July 1,
Policy Title: Test patient Creation in Production
Policy Number: HL-005-POL
Effective Date: 8/31/2016
This policy establishes a request process for the introduction of test patients into the Health Link
(HL) production environment. Test patients are required to support various development
processes including, but not limited to:
• Testing functionality after upgrades.
• Testing new patient creation workflows.
• Validating order functions.
Test patients created outside of this approved process negatively impact healthcare operations
such as patient care, organizational reporting, meaningful use, and corrupt the Master Patient
Index (MPI). Failure to follow this procedure will result in deletion of invalid and unapproved
II. DEFINITIONS (optional)
Health Link: The integrated health record and business system shared by UW Health. The
trademarked name for the software is Epic Systems.
Master Patient Index (MPI): The listing of all patients within the Health Link database.
Production: Refers to any production level computer system. This is the live system that houses
clinical and financial patient information.
ServiceNow: The software used to submit/track:
• Work requests.
• The request approval process.
• The change review process.
• The application of changes to system environments.
III. POLICY ELEMENTS
Test patients are used to test all workflows that impact HL. Test patients must be requested
through submission of a ServiceNow ticket. End users may not create test patients.
1. UWHC Health Information Management (HIM) runs periodic reports in production to
monitor the use and creation of test patients in production.
2. Test patients should never be used by any staff to hold an appointment time on a provider or
resource schedule in Health Link. Only the Department 22627 UWH Clinical Research Unit
scheduling department has approval to hold time slots using a specific test patient:
1. HOLD, CRU ONLY (Epic ID: 52610374)
2. CONF, CTRC ONLY (Epic ID: 52675531)
3. The OpTime and AnesthesiaTeam has approval to use the following test patients in
production to hold operating room time as needed (approval granted by UWHC HIM).
3. Transplant-A, Room (Epic ID: 52714787)
4. Transplant-B, Room (Epic ID: 52715096)
5. Orthotrauma-A, Room (Epic ID: 52714789)
6. Orthotrauma-B, Room (Epic ID: 52715098)
7. Trauma-A, Room (Epic ID: 52714791)
8. Trauma-B, Room (Epic ID: 52715099)
9. AFCHaddon-A, Room (Epic ID: 52714792)
10. AFCHaddon-B, Room (Epic ID: 52715100)
11. Cardiac, Room (Epic ID: 52714793)
12. AnesHold-A, Room (Epic ID: 53149533)
13. AnesHold-B, Room (53149535)
4. The Veterans Administration has approval to use the following test patients in production to
production. These test patients are used to validate PHI exchange functionality/connectivity
via Healtheway on a daily basis. These test patients are also used during validation of
Healtheway system updates/upgrades.
1. CHDRZZZTESTPATIENT, CHDRONE (Epic ID: 53123333)
2. CHDRZZZTESTPATIENT, CHDRTWO (Epic ID: 53123337)
3. CHDRZZZTESTPATIENT, CHDRTHREE (Epic ID: 53123339)
4. CHDRZZZTESTPATIENT, CHDRFOUR FRANK (Epic ID: 5312341)
The following procedures support this policy:
Test Patient Creation in Production Procedure (HL-005-PRO)
V. FORMS (optional)
VI. REFERENCES (optional)
Sr. Management Sponsor: UW Health CIO
Author: UW Health IS Supervisor - HIM
Reviewer(s): IS Health Link Technical Leaders
Approval Committee: IS Health Link Technical Leaders
(Highest level of authority for policy approval)
Effective Date Next Review Summary of Changes Change Authors
Added additional test
Test patients added for
R. Fenstermann, J. Leonard
Annual review. Minor
updates to content.
R. Fenstermann, T. Senty, J. Duckert,
A. Barry, B. Peroutka, J. Leonard