Administrative Departmental Procedure
This department-specific procedure applies to the operations and staff of the Information Services
Department of the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority as integrated effective July 1,
Policy Title: Charge Router Change Management
Policy Number: HL-008-PRO
Effective Date: 4/19/2016
This procedure defines the steps for maintenance of the Charge Router, including who can
request, approve, and implement changes to it, and how those changes are made.
II. DEFINITIONS (optional)
III. POLICY ELEMENTS
This procedure supports the following policy:
Charge Router Change Management Policy (HL-008-POL)
1. Prior to submission, the requestor or key application contact must have communicated the
request to the applicable teams for assessment and approval.
2. Once the change is approved, the request for change to the Charge Router is submitted
through an IS service request to the UW Health Charge Router Analyst for review and
3. If there are questions, the requestor and application owners are consulted to obtain
clarification on a request and/or ensure there would be no adverse effects from implementing
4. The change is implemented in the appropriate test environment(s) by the UW Health Charge
5. The requester and/or analyst verify, test, and approve the change before it is moved to
production (PRD) by the UW Health Charge Router Analyst.
6. If the request is not approved/validated, or does not achieve the intended results, the UW
Health Charge Router Analyst communicates the reason to the requestor, along with other
possibilities or alternative solutions. The requestor or UW Health Charge Router Analyst may
assign the IS service request to other Analysts, as appropriate.
7. After the UW Health Charge Router Analyst moves the change to PRD, the Charge Router
Analyst (or other Analysts) follows up with the requestor to validate the change.
V. FORMS (optional)
Health Link Charge Router Workflow
Sr. Management Sponsor: VP – Patient Business Services
Author: Patient Business Services – Charge Capture
Reviewer(s): Health Link Technical Leaders
Approval Committee: Health Link Technical Leaders
UW Health CIO
Effective Date Next Review Summary of Changes Change Authors
4/19/2016 4/19/2017 Annual review/revision.
A. Stewart, A. Armstrong, J. McClain,
11/3/2014 11/3/2015 Initial release. A. Stewart, A. Armstrong, J. McClain