UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN MEDICAL FOUNDATION
CLINICAL POLICY AND PROCEDURE
TITLE: PATIENT LEFT WITHOUT SEEING PROVIDER
(Full EpicCare sites only)
Effective Date: August, 2005 Approval: See Authorization
Supersedes Protocol: None Contact: See Author
PURPOSE: To provide EpicCare documentation procedures for patients who have left the clinic without
seeing a provider. For patients who have left the clinic without being seen (roomed) and whose Visit
Navigator has not been opened, see PBS Policy: Patient Left Without Being Seen.
DEFINITION: When patient is roomed by a nurse or medical assistant, or when the patient’s Visit
Navigator has been opened, but the patient had to leave prior to seeing the provider or the provider had to
POLICY: Clinical nursing staff that opened the encounter in EpicCare will need to ensure that
appropriate steps are taken so encounter can be closed.
1. If patient paid their copay for this visit, reception will notify Charge Corrections at 829-5624,
edit the copay in Epic and reimburse patient for the copay.
2. Add a statement in the Appointment Notes in Cadence, specific to this appointment, that
patient left without seeing the provider.
3. If patient makes return appointment, make a new appointment – do not change the current
appointment. Do not cancel the current appointment.
1. In Visit Navigator, add “left” as the Chief Complaint to open the smartset.
2. Document appropriately everything reviewed or completed (vitals, allergies, history, meds,
3. Document in nursing note that patient did not see provider.
4. Open the Smartset “Left without seeing provider”.
5. Reschedule the appointment as applicable or ask patient to reschedule w/reception.
6. Close encounter.
1. Cosign encounter.
WRITTEN and REVIEWED BY:
EpicCare Clinic Operations Policies & Procedures Work Group
Barb Nordin, Senior Clinical Analyst
Jody McClain, Patient Business Services
Dr. Mary Rowe, EpicCare MD Champion
Joleen Sisler, Clinic Manager
Barb Hlavachek, Clinic Manager
Medical Director Date