Established Date: 23 June 2016
Effective Date: January 2018
Title: OPO Qualified Healthcare Professional Staff Policy Number: 1.16
Electronically Approved By: Michael E. Anderson, PA-C Anthony M. D’Alessandro, M.D.
Executive Director Medical Director
Page 1 of 1
The purpose of this policy is to define the University of Wisconsin Organ and Tissue Donation (UW OTD) staff
that will be trained to act as qualified healthcare professionals to complete United Network for Organ Sharing
(UNOS) verification and reporting processes as required per UNOS policy and to outline how training for these
individuals will be completed.
A. Qualified Healthcare Professional Staff for ABO Verification and Reporting
1. ABO verification and reporting will be completed per UW OTD policy 2.03.
2. All UW OTD organ procurement coordinators (OPC) that have completed new employee
orientation or any additional training related to ABO verification and reporting will be
qualified healthcare professionals.
3. Any UNOS staff member trained by UNOS to perform ABO verification will be a qualified
4. Other UW OTD staff members that have completed ABO verification and reporting training
will be qualified healthcare professionals.
B. Qualified Healthcare Professional Staff for Pre-Recovery and Intended Recipient Verification
1. Pre-recovery and intended recipient verification will be completed per UW OTD policy 3.11.
2. All UW OTD surgical recovery coordinators (SRC) that have completed new employee
orientation or any additional training related to the verification processes will be qualified
3. All local and visiting recovery surgeons that are credentialed to complete organ recovery
procedures per UW OTD policies 3.01 and 2.10 will be qualified healthcare professionals.
C. Training Methods and Documentation:
1. Initial training for new staff will be completed during UW OTD new employee orientation.
2. On-going and additional training will be completed as needed.
3. All training documentation will be maintained in the staff member’s training records per
UW OTD policy 1.14.
4. UW OTD will complete training for local recovery surgeons as part of the surgeon
verification process outlined in UW OTD policy 3.01.
5. UW OTD will not complete any training activities or keep any training records for UNOS staff
or visiting recovery surgeons.
UW OTD Policies 1.14, 2.03, 2.10, 3.01, and 3.11