UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN
POLICY & PROCEDURE
OTHER Surgical Services
TORNADO ALERT PLAN - PERIOPERATIVE
To establish departmental guidelines to be followed by the personnel in a tornado path or tornado warning.
Upon activation of a Code Gray, Tornado Warning
A. All unassigned personnel will report to the Charge Nurse and remain within the respective perioperative
areas including all off-duty personnel in the area until cleared to leave by the Charge Nurse.
B. Action taken will be:
1. No additional cases will begin unless defined as an emergency.
2. All cases in progress will continue at the discretion of the attending surgeon.
3. Cases in progress will be encouraged to close as quickly as possible.
4. Communication should be made with the Charge Nurse as to whether recovery will be done in the
operative suite or the PACU.
5. No patients will be transferred out of the unit during the alert. Patients can be moved from the O.R. to
PACU due to no exterior windows are in that route.
a. At The American Center, patients in OR suites 1-6 will not be transferred to the PACU but will
be recovered in the OR suites until an “All Clear” has been called.
6. Personnel should avoid hallways with external window areas.
7. Make sure all OR suites and hallway doors are closed.
8. An "All Clear" will be announced overhead by the Paging and Message Center and Plant Engineering after
the tornado warning for Dane County has cleared and the threat of the tornado has passed. The O.R.
Director (or designee) may also verbally inform the personnel. All personnel will remain in their respective
perioperative areas until either means of notification is made.
Surgical Services Policy and Procedure Committee 2/2016
Jeffrey Fenne, Director, Surgical Services, 2/2016
Marisa Bartlett, Director of Life Safety 2/2016
Tricia Ejzak, Manager of TAC OR and Reprocessing
Sandy Schoenmann , BSN, RN
Interim Director, Surgical Services Department