1.23 Respiratory Therapy Councils
Category: UWHC Administrative Policy
Effective Date: December 1, 2016
Manual: Respiratory Care Services
To ensure professional respiratory staff’s involvement in managing respiratory practice, advocating for
resources supporting departmental goals and influencing organizational decision making through
participation in Respiratory Care councils.
Respiratory Care’s organizational model, structure and process are based upon the belief that:
A. Professional respiratory practice is fostered and supported in an environment where registered
Respiratory Therapists are involved in self-governance and decision making structures and processes
that establish standards of practice and address issues of concern.
B. Issues and problems are best identified and solved by those most closely affected by the issue and
C. Councils involving staff produce highly relevant and practical decisions.
D. Through Council participation, staff gains an awareness of their value as professionals, as well as an
understanding of the organization as a whole.
E. Council processes foster colleagueship, team building and development of leadership potential.
A. Council chair will be a senior level therapist with chairmanship re-evaluated every 2 years.
B. Co-chair will be appointed as a 2-year term.
C. Each council will have a supervisor in attendance.
D. Council Chairs will call for, develop and disseminate agendas prior to the meeting.
E. Chairs will appoint someone to take minutes and disseminate the final minutes within 5 days of
F. Chairs will set ground rules and follow a timeline for each meeting.
G. All ideas will be presented to the Leadership group for final approval.
H. Council updates will be a standing agenda item on the Respiratory Care Leadership meeting.
I. Evaluation for implementation or elimination of a council will be determined by the Respiratory
J. Council members who do not meet committed obligations will be dismissed from the council.
IV. COUNCIL PROCESSES
A. The council chair will orient new members to: the general structure of the specific council of which
they are a member (purpose, charge, responsibilities, objectives, etc.), the council group decision-
making process and effective participation.
B. Decisions within councils will preferably be made by consensus. If voting becomes necessary, a
simple majority will make decisions.
C. Secretarial support for each council will include maintenance and distribution of agendas and
V. RESPONSIBILITIES OF COUNCIL MEMBERSHIP
1. Active participation and regular attendance is expected of all council members in order to remain
in good standing. Adherence to these expectations will be evaluated by both the senior and
management on ongoing bases.
2. Council attendance requirements will be determined by the council.
3. Review of all materials included in the agenda prior to scheduled meetings is expected.
4. Providing an update at the team/department level is expected.
5. If resigning from council, submit written notification of resignation to the chairperson of the
B. Council appointments will be a 2-year term. This excludes the senior shift lead who may remain on
to represent Senior leadership
C. After the 2-year term, an employee may have the option to reapply.
1. Preside at all meetings.
2. Identify the objectives with council members at the beginning of the year.
3. Prepare agenda with council member’s input that clearly indicates the purpose and content of the
meeting and distribute agenda in advance to allow for preparation of the council members.
4. Provide the appropriate mechanism for recording the meeting minutes via the minute template
and stored on the J drive under a folder assigned to the council.
5. Assure that all members are oriented to the council and council processes.
6. Report at the Leadership meetings proposals and updates.
7. Give updates at the department meetings or drop in sessions when indicated.
8. Write report articles as needed.
9. Consult with the supervisor as necessary.
Approved by Director and Medical Director of Respiratory Care:
A copy of this Policy & Procedure is available in the Respiratory Care Office [E5/489].