Pharmacy Policy Manual
Operations Procedure Manual
Policy #: 18.1
Title: Pharmacy Resident Pharmacy
I. PURPOSE: To outline the requirements of Pharmacy Resident Pharmacy Practice Experience
A. General Considerations
1. Residents will be required to successfully complete either inpatient or ambulatory
staff pharmacist training and all required competencies.
2. Residents will perform a predetermined number of PPE hours that will be
averaged over the course of an entire 8 or 12 week schedule.
3. Residents performing PPE on inpatient units will submit all requests for time off
via the pharmacy department scheduling software system. No time off requests
will be granted the final week of the program.
4. Ambulatory residents will submit all requests for time off via the approved Time
off Request form.
5. Residents will be scheduled an average of every other weekend.
6. Scheduling dates can be found on the hospital’s intranet in the pharmacy
workgroup under Scheduling
7. All residents will be scheduled for PPE on one of the following (Labor Day,
Memorial Day, or July 4
8. All residents will be scheduled for PPE on one of the following pairs (New Year’s
Eve/New Year’s Day; Christmas Eve/Christmas Day; Thanksgiving Day/Friday
9. Resident scheduling will comply with Accreditation Council for Graduate
Medical Education (ACGME) duty hour rules
10. The scheduler will forward a shift count grid and a draft schedule prior to
schedule release according to the pharmacist scheduling policy to the residents
and their respective program directors to facilitate tracking of the resident’s shift
B. Administrative Residents (JAR and SAR)
1. The scheduler will account for academic classes if submitted by the request for
time off deadline.
Reviewed by: Residency Advisory Committee, Department Pharmacy Managers
Approved By: ____________________________
Director of Pharmacy Services