September 7, 2005
September 2, 2015
Cash Handling and Credit Card
To establish guidelines for cash control in the 4 Lakes Cafeteria and other locations.
The University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (UWHC) Cafeteria and The American Bistro at The
American Center (TAC) accept:
Cash, credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express), payroll deduction, meal
tickets, convenience cards, gift cards, Optum Health cards, House Staff cards, approved checks,
gift certificates, Volunteer cards, Guards/Inmates white slips and correctional cards for sales. U.S.
Traveler's checks signed in cashier's presence, with proper identification.
Java Coast gift certificates, and convenience cards and gift cards are purchased ahead of time and
amounts are subtracted when used. The other cards are billed monthly to corresponding
Fiscal Affairs Policy and Procedures
IV. FORMS USED
Cafeteria Cash Record
Opening Bank Verification Form
Safe Verification Form
A. Definition of charges.
1. Food is offered for sale in the cafeteria. Price of food items is reflected on displays
and menu board with the cash value collected by the cashier.
B. Departmental revenue generating centers.
The revenue generating centers include the following areas. Projected volume and
seasons determine the daily need for each center.
1. 4 Lakes Cafeteria has 7 registers (6 used daily + 1 extra for busy times)
2. Coffee Corner has 1 register
3. Atrium Café has 2 registers
4. Mendota Market has 3 registers
5. AFCH has 1 register
6. Coffee Corner-West has 1 register
7. The American Bistro has 2 registers
C. Coordination of cash control at UWHC
1. At 5:00 a.m., the cafeteria manager or supervisor verifies the previous days
deposit bags and records them in the log and places the deposits in locked courier
2. At 5:15 cafeteria manager/Supervisor gets a.m. cash bags from cafeteria safe.
Opening cashier verifies cash and puts into use. A total of 8 bags get verified.
3. At 8:30 AM Brinks brings the empty deposit bags to continue in the recycling
program and the opening bank for Java Coast West is kept in safe until next
morning to get verified. Cash deposits from the previous day are picked up by the
courier and delivered to Fiscal Affairs.
4. At 9:00 am the lead cashier verifies cash for remaining 6 bags and puts into use.
5. At specified times each cash register revenues are reconciled. The opening bank is
taken out to use for the next day and the deposit only is dropped into the cafeteria
safe. Any discrepancies greater than/less than $2.00 is investigated by cashier and
D. Coordination of cash control at TAC
1. At 5:30 a.m., the cashier obtains the AM cash bag from security, verifies cash, and
puts into use.
2. Security staff verifies the previous days deposit bags and records them in the log
and places the deposits in locked courier bags. A total of 2 bags get verified per
3. At 11:30 am the PM cashier obtains the PM cash bag from security, verifies cash,
and puts into use.
4. At specified times each cash register revenues are reconciled, 1:30pm for the AM
bag and 7:00pm for the PM bag. Any discrepancies greater than/less than $2.00 is
investigated by cashier and supervisor/manager.
E. Security of cash control.
1. Fiscal Affairs reconciles the readings from the register with cash turned in and
informs the cafeteria manager/supervisor of all results on a receipt for each
revenue generating center.
2. Discrepancies greater than $5.00 between cash turned in and revenue
generated are investigated by the cafeteria manager/supervisor.
3. The Financial Coordinator audits cash versus actual receipts on a daily basis.
F. Security of credit card transactions.
1. At the end of each night the supervisor or lead worker will run the Credit Card
Batch Report and the Financial Report for each employee working that day using
the Micros Enterprise System.
2. The batch credit card transactions will be compared to each employee’s financial
report to ensure the number of transactions match on both reports.
3. Both reports will be signed by the reviewer and placed into a binder for review upon
Clinical Nutrition Services
Director, Culinary and Clinical Nutrition Services