Page 1 of 2
Administrative (Non-Clinical) Policy
This administrative policy applies to the operations and staff of the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and
Clinics Authority (UWHCA) as integrated effective July 1, 2015, including the legacy operations and
staff of University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (UWHC) and University of Wisconsin Medical
Policy Title: Utilization of Radiological Equipment
Policy Number: 7.10
Effective Date: July 3, 2017
Chapter: Patient Support
To designate which personnel are qualified and authorized to use radiological equipment and participate
in the practice of radiography.
II. POLICY ELEMENTS
A. The practice of radiography is defined as the imaging of anatomical structures, produced by the
combined application of x-rays to the human body and the application of knowledge in the fields
of anatomy, radiographic positioning, and radiographic technique, and knowledge of principles of
radiation protection, for the purpose of medical diagnosis.
B. Radiological examinations are administered only under a prescriber’s order as described in
Administrative policy 8.16-Patient Care Orders.
A. Personnel qualified and authorized to use radiological equipment and administer radiological
1. Radiographers compliant with 2009 Wisconsin Act 106 (i.e. holding a valid Wisconsin
license to practice radiography).
2. Physicians licensed to practice medicine and surgery under Wisconsin Statue 448.04(1) (a)
3. Graduate Medical Education (GME) trainees as permitted by and functioning under
supervision and within the scope of the clinical privileges granted to a supervising medical
4. A student enrolled in a radiography program and who is directly supervised by a physician
or licensed radiographer.
5. A physician assistant licensed under Wisconsin Statute 448.04(1) (f).
Page 2 of 2
Sr. Management Sponsor: Vice President, Professional Services
Author: Radiology Business Operations Manager
Reviewer: X-Ray Device Committee
Approval Committee: UW Health Administrative Policy and Procedure Committee
UW Health Chief Administrative Officer