Employees may voluntarily donate specific benefit time to other UWHC employees who are on a leave of absence due to a catastrophic situation, the loss of worked time resulting in a financial hardship.
Catastrophic reasons involving the employee or family member:
- Illness or injury involving the employee or family member
- Events such as a flood, tornado, fire, etc.
Eligible employee must meet these requirements:
- Be in need of at least a project 120 hours of leave, prorated based on FTE, not necessarily consecutive
- Medical documentation must be provided for catastrophic illness or injury and appropriate documentation must be submitted to supporta catastrophic event occurred
- Have exhausted all available sick leave, where applicable, and have exhausted all but twenty-four hours of combined compensatory time, vacation and legal holiday (employee is not required to use legal holiday time for holidays scheduled to be off later in the year)
- Shall not receive more than 200 donated hours per calendar year, pro-rated based on FTE
- Probationary employees are eligible for catastrophic leave; however, their probationary period will be extended for all hours missed
- Must not be received other salary replacement benefits
- Must remain an employee of UWHC for the duration of the time in which donated leave will be used
Transfers/Donations of time will be on an hour-for-hour basis and used in order of receipt.
The following accrued time may be donated:
- Compensatory time
- Legal holiday
Family member is defined as:
- Spouse/domestic partner
- Child (natural, adoptive, step, grand, foster, in-law)
- Brother (and in-law) or sister (and in-law)
To be an eligible donor, the employee must meet the following requirements:
- Must have completed six months of employment
- Cannot donate more than 40 hours of accrued compensatory time, vacation or legal holiday time pro-rated based on FTE
- Must remain an employee of UWHC