In addition to an employee’s base rate of pay, non-exempt, hourly eligible employees may receive compensation in addition to his or her base rate of pay for time worked on off-shifts, on-call, as a part of a float pool, or in a role that is determined to be eligible for bilingual differential. Unless otherwise stated, the payment of differentials is based upon job title groupings. Differential groups are assigned by job title, not individual.
- Group 1 – Generally includes jobs which are performed in an office type environment, blue-collar type positions and those which do not provide direct clinical care.
- Group 2 – Generally includes jobs that are certified or licensed to provide direct clinical care, trades, Information Services, Ambulatory RNs, Occupational Therapists and Physical Therapists
- Group 3 – Includes Inpatient, Emergency Services or Urgent Care RNs and other RN positions that have high call burden, extended hours or procedure areas
As of 1/10/16, employees can find their differential group and differential designation (I.e. permanent, bilingual, float) in Employee Self Service (UWHC | UWMF) under Payroll and Compensation, Current Compensation.
- Differentials will only be paid on hours worked (excludes vacation, holiday and sick)
- For shift related differentials, only the hours worked during the time frame established will be paid the differential, not the entire shift or for other shifts worked (i.e. an employee comes in during the day for a meeting)
- Unless otherwise stated and if applicable, multiple differentials may be paid. For example, if an employee works on a Saturday from 7pm to Sunday 7am, they will receive the weekend and evening/night differential
- Differentials are not included when calculating merit and promotional increases
- In the event of a unique situation which may not fall into the above categories, Human Resources reserve the right to determine the eligibility of a differential
- Student Help employees, Interns and employees in titles otherwise classified as exempt, are not eligible for differentials
- Per Diem title classifications formerly represented by SEIU will maintain the differential rates set in the previous contract until further notice
- UWMF employed Per Diem titles are not eligible for differentials and will maintain current compensation practices until further notice