Pay & Benefits,Life Events,Life Events (UWHC),Retirement

Benefits Information

Benefits Information - Pay & Benefits, Life Events, Life Events (UWHC), Retirement


General Information about the UWHC Retirement Plan

For more information regarding retirement, contact ETF directly at 877-533-5020 (toll free) or visit their webiste at http://etf.wi.gov/index.asp

Here are some ETF resources that may be of interest to you:

What Happens to My Benefits if I Resign?

Health and Dental Insurance 

(including EPIC Benefits+, Supplemental Delta Dental, and VSP Vision Care)

Health and dental insurance will continue through the end of the month in which you retire. Following your active coverage, you may continue your health insurance through the conversion of your sick leave.

Life Insurances 

(not including State Group Life Insurance)

UW Employees, Inc. and Supplemental Life Insurances will continue through the end of the month in which you retire. If you qualify, you can convert Supplemental Life to an individual plan. Premiums would increase drastically.

Accidental Death and Dismemberment will terminate one month beyond the month in which you retire.

State Group Life Insurance

If you retire under the age of 65, you will be able to keep your State Group Life Insurance at the same level and cost that you were enrolled in as a UWHC employee. Premiums will automatically be deducted from your monthly retirement annuity. When you turn age 65, your supplemental and additional life coverage will cease. You will be able to keep 75% of the basic life insurance only; however, the benefit will be available at no cost to you. When you turn 66, the benefit amount will again reduce to 50% of the basic life insurance. No further reductions will occur and premiums will remain at no cost to you.


If you have a base lot parking permit/ahngtag and you have questions regarding how to return it and/or receive a refund, if applicable, please contact the UW Madison Transportation Services department at (608) 263-6666.

What Happens to My Paid Time if I Resign?

Your earned sick leave is used to pay for health insurance premiums upon retirement. There is a matching component if you retire with at least 15 years of service. For more information, please see the Sick Leave Conversion Credit Program Brochure. You must be enrolled in a health insurance with UWHC at the time of retirement to receive this benefit.

All earned, but unused, vacation, compensatory, legal holiday and sabbatical* time will be paid out on your last paycheck. The use of accrued vacation, legal holiday or compensation time to extend the date of termination is not permitted.

*Only former WESU represented employees may elect to convert earned but unused sabbatical time as payment for health insurance upon retirement. You must contact Human Resources, prior to your retirement, if you wish to have your sabbatical hours converted to pay for your health insurance. Otherwise your sabbatical hours will be paid out on your last paycheck.