Pay & Benefits,Life Events,Life Events (UWHC),Marriage

Changing Your Name and Email

Changing Your Name and Email - Pay & Benefits, Life Events, Life Events (UWHC), Marriage


Outside of UW Health

On its website, the Social Security Administration offers the instructions and forms you’ll need to obtain a new social security card.

Taking this step will help you make any additional name changes, such as changing your name with UW Health Human Resources.

With Human Resources

In accordance with the IRS, Social Security Administration, and the Department of Workforce Development, official name changes can only be made when accompanied by a new social security card.

Once you have your new social security card, please complete the Name Change Form and make a copy of your Social Security card and fax it to HR at (608) 263-5778 or attach to an Ask HR case in ServiceNow.

To update your name for your benefits, you need to complete an application for each benefit you are currently enrolled in, indicating your name change on the form. The forms must be completed and submitted to Human Resources in order for the name change to be made on the applicable benefits. Review Employee Self Service to determine which benefits you are enrolled:

If you are enrolled in a supplemental retirement plan (Tax Sheltered Annuity 403b or WDC 457), you will need to contact your retirement vendor to make this name change update.

Email Address Change

If you are interested in changing your email address to reflect your name change, you must first complete the procedure outline above.

Once HR has updated your record, your name change will be reported to Information Systems (IS) to be updated in computer systems. You will receive an email notification from IS once your email address has been updated.

NOTE: Name and email changes can be updated in systems, but your computer username will always remain the same.

Your previous email address will remain in the background so you will not lose any emails while you update colleagues of your new email address.

NOTE: If you do NOT want your email address update to your new name, you must place a Help Desk Self-Service ticket with IS to request that email address NOT be changed.