Pay & Benefits,Life Events,Life Events (UWHC),Marriage

Benefit Information

Benefit Information - Pay & Benefits, Life Events, Life Events (UWHC), Marriage


Important Deadline

You have thirty days from the date of your marriage to add your spouse to your insurance. Forms must be completed and submitted to HR via fax: (608) 263-5778 or attach to an Ask HR case in ServiceNow. 

If you do not enroll your new dependent within the 30-day deadline, you must wait until the next available Open Enrollment period to make changes to your benefits enrollment with the changes effective on January 1.

Health and Uniform Dental Insurance

To change your health insurance from single to family, or to add a dependent to your existing family health insurance, you must submit a Health Insurance Application/Change Form to Human Resources within 30 days of your marriage.

If your spouse is also employed by UWHC or another state agency, you may choose to keep two single plans or to change to one family plan. However, if you choose to each keep single plans, your earned sick leave will not transfer to your spouse if one of you should die. If you are changing to a family plan, you or your spouse will need to complete an application to cancel the current single plan.

The form needs to be completed and submitted to HR within 30 days of your date of marriage. Medical enrollment is effective the date of marriage, or the first of the month following the termination of your spouse’s plan.  

Supplemental Benefits

There are other benefits an employee can change due to a qualifying life event. Below is a list of benefits an employee could change. Refer to Employee Self Service to review your benefit eligibility. If interested in changing, please complete the appropriate form and contact Human Resources at (608) 263-6500.

More Information

Enrollment Form

Supplemental Delta Dental (UWHC)

Supplemental Delta Dental Enrollment Form

VSP Vision Insurance (UWHC)

VSP Vision Care Application

EPIC Benefits+

Flexible Spending Account

Epic Benefits+ Application


These forms need to be completed and submitted to HR within 30 days from the date of marriage. Enrollments are effective the 1st of the month following receipt of application. 

Life Insurance

If enrolling your spouse will change your life insurance coverage (from single to family, enroll in spouse/dependent coverage) for any of the following life insurances, you should submit an application to change the coverage. The form(s) must be received by Human Resources within 30 days from the date of marriage. 

More Information Enrollment Form
State Group Life
Supplemental Life Insurance Supplemental Life Insurance Application
Accidental Death and Dismemberment ADandD Life Insurance Application

If your coverage type will not change due to your marriage, you do not need to submit a new application/enrollment form.

Beneficiary Information

If you wish to change your beneficiary for your life insurance and/or retirement plan savings account, you will need to complete the required beneficiary forms.

For UW Employees, Inc. and Supplemental Life Insurance, call Securian at (608) 277-8690.

Please note: In the State of Wisconsin, your spouse must be listed as your 100% primary beneficiary, unless you have a notarized spousal consent on file.