|Coverage Type||Initial Offering||Annual Increase Option||Maximum Coverage Amount|
|Employee||$5,000, $10,000, or $20,000||$5,000, $10,000 or $20,000||$200,000|
|Spouse||$5,000, $10,000 or $20,000||$5,000 or $10,000||$100,000|
|Dependents||$2,500 or $5,000||$2,500||$10,000|
- This is group-term life insurance coverage and is available for the employee, spouse and eligible dependents
- You must be enrolled in employee coverage in order to elect spouse and/or dependent coverage
- Spouse coverage cannot exceed the amount of employee coverage
- Newly eligible employees may choose from the initial offering coverage amounts above
- At any time, employees may apply for coverage up to the maximum amount by going through the medical underwriting process
- Annually during Open Enrollment, employees enrolled int he plan will be offered the opportunity to increase each elected coverage type by the annual increase option in the chart above, up to the plan maximum coverage amount
- Coverage may continue following retirement or termination by converting the coverage to an individual policy. For conversion information, contact Securian Financial Group, Inc. at (608) 277-8690
Employees-in-Training and all regular full-time and part-time employees that are eligible under the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS).
Premiums are based on the level of insurance selected and the age of the employee. Premiums are adjusted during the annual update. Premiums for this insurance are paid entirely by the employee and are taken as an after-tax deduction.
- Supplemental Life Monthly Premiums
Annual Premium Update
Premiums are reviewed each year and may change based on age. When an employee ages out of an age bracket, the premium increase will be effective January 1, of the next year. For example: Employee turns 37 on April 14, the premium will increase on January 1, of the next year.
Beneficiary designations for Supplemental Life Insurance may be made or updated at anytime through Securian Financial Group, Inc.’s secure LifeBenefits Website.
Enrollment in the Supplemental Life Insurance plan requires the submission of the Supplemental Life Insurance Enrollment Form to Human Resources within 30 days of the date of hire. Coverage will be effective the first of the month after receipt of the application.
If your application is not received within the initial enrollment period, you may apply at any time by submitting an Evidence of Insurability Application directly to Securian Financial Group, Inc. Your application will be subject to medical underwriting and may require medical records or documentation.
Qualifying Life Event
Changes may be made to your Supplemental Life Insurance if a qualifying life event occurs. To make changes, please review Life Events (UWHC) page for information on what changes you can make due to a Qualifying Life Event, how to obtain the applications, and when the change is effective. Completed applications must be submitted to UW Health Human Resources within 30 days of the qualifying life event.
A qualifying life event includes marriage, birth or adoption of a child, a death, divorce, termination of employment, or for dependent care only, a change in childcare providers or cost.
Supplemental Life Insurance can be canceled at any time by submitting a Supplemental Term Life Insurance Application/Change Form to Human Resources, indicating that you want to cancel coverage. Coverage is canceled the first of the month following receipt of your application.
This document is a brief summary of benefits. Details of the plan(s) may be found in the official plan documents and plan descriptions. If a conflict exists between this document and the official plan document, the official plan document shall rule.