The 6 steps of EBP
- Step 1: Ask the clinical question
- Step 2: Search for the best evidence
- Step 3: Critically appraise the evidence
- Step 4: Integrate the evidence with clinical expertise and patient preference and values
- Step 5: Evaluate the outcomes
- Step 6: Disseminate EBP results
UWHC nurses have adopted the Iowa Model, with permission, as a way to walk through the steps of EBP process.
The Iowa Model Revised: Evidence-Based Practice to Promote Excellence in Health Care
Iowa Model of Evidence Based Practice to Promote Quality Care Article
To guide practice change, The University of Iowa also offers an Evidence-Based Practice Implementation Model, which UWHC nurses have permission to use.
For tools, templates and more information about EBP, please visit the Evidence Based Practice Project Workspaces Page. Log into Workspaces to access current projects, available resources, and have a way to save your EBP projects on-line.
For more information about EBP, read the EBP series featured in the American Journal of Nursing. Once on the externally linked page, scroll down to view. Free PDF versions of each article are available. Please note that the series is listed in reverse order (the first in the series is listed last).