If you have an idea for a nursing innovation, some suggestions to advance your idea are:
- Take a few minutes to put your idea in writing
- Does your idea support the goals and priorities of UW Health and UWHC Nursing?
- Is your idea feasible?
- Try the idea out on a few colleagues
- Discuss with your nurse manager/director, clinical nurse specialist (CNS), nursing education specialist, and/or unit council
- If the idea still seems feasible and you have obtained support for implementation, develop a more detailed implementation plan
- If your idea is evidence-based practice, consult the EBP page, Workspace and/or the EBP CNS
- If your idea is quality/process improvement, consult the Quality, Safety and Innovation page and/or a Nursing Quality and Safety CNS
- If your idea involves Health Link or technology, consult the Nursing Informatics page and/or one of the nursing informaticists
- If your idea is a change project, read about the Kotter change process
- Implement your idea
- Congratulations and report your completed innovation on this site!
Innovation Information and Resources
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Innovations Exchange
Blakeney, B., Carlton, P., McCarthy, C., & Coakley, E. (2009). Unlocking the power of innovation. Online Journal Issues in Nursing, 14(2).
Evidence Based Practice Workspace
Innovation Learning Network
Quality, Safety and Innovation
Sustainability: Making Changes Stick