- Routes, maintenance, gear, parking, lockers, showers and other resources: UW Health Bicycle Commuter Guide (pdf)
- UW Transportation Services' University Bicycle Resource Center
Are bike lockers available near the hospital?
Yes. There are currently two available bike lockers near the lot 79 ramp. Lockers offer protection against all kinds of weather and from theft. For a reasonable fee, these are available for annual, semester and summer rentals.
If you're interested in bike locker rental, please contact the UW bicycle and pedestrian coordinator at (608) 263-2969 to rent a locker or to go on a wait list.
Are showers available at the hospital if I bike or jog in to work?
Showers are available at the CSC (Men: D4/110 and Women: D4/116) and at the HSLC, across from the University Book Store (1350 and 1352). Lockers are not available at the CSC.
Are there any classes being offered to gain more biking skills?
Yes. The UW Bucky's Ambassadors offer classes at the Bike Annex. Union Minicourses, the Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin, and other local organizations also offer skills training and tours year-round.
Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin
How can I get to the hospital by bike?
The City of Madison and Dane County have several bike paths and designated bike routes throughout the area.
You can also contact the UW Transportation Demand Management office at (608) 263-2969.
Is there a place on campus where I can work on my bike?
Yes. The Bike Annex recently opened in Lot 60. The Annex is a hands-on bike maintenance workspace, where students and staff have the opportunity to work on basic repair of their own bikes. Professional quality tools are available to check out with a university ID. The Bike Annex is the brown and white building in the middle of the lot.
Covered bike parking is available.
Where can I get more information about biking to work?
Visit the UW Transportation Services Web page about biking.
Where can I park my bike?
Bicycle parking is now available at:
- The north entrance of the Health Sciences Learning Center (HSLC), adjacent to Surface Lot 95. (Bicycles only, no moped parking)
- On the north side of the Clinics Entrance (south side of HSLC) overlooking the Healing Garden. (Bicycles only, no moped parking)
- On the concrete pad near Highland Ave., adjacent to Lot 85 next to the School of Pharmacy, with easy access to a signed pedestrian walkway. (Bicycles and mopeds permitted here)
- South of the Clinics Entrance (near the designated smoking area). (Bicycles only, no moped parking)
- Two Bike Racks near the new Emergency Room entrance. They are located near the far wall. Double-sided racks were installed, but they are pushed up against the wall, so only one side is accessible. This was done as a temporary measure because those were the last two racks that were available and once more racks become available, single-sided racks will be installed.
Covered bicycle parking:
- There are Bike Racks available in the underground portion of Lot 95 (under the HSLC)
- Bike Rack in UWHC visitor ramp, located in the northwest corner of Lot 79)
- Planned for a new facility between Lot 76 and the Nielsen Tennis Center and for the parking ramp in the new Children's Hospital (2006)
Are bike racks available at The American Center?
Yes. The Ameican Center has racks for about 35 bikes, in three on-site locations. Locations include:
- Level 1 parking ramp, northeast corner
- West side of the surface lot, just west of the ambulance garage
- Tear drop area at drive-up, near the clinics revolver