To ensure the health and safety of employees in our work environment, a UWHC employee who may experience a work-related injury or illness is to do the following:
- If injured during business hours (Monday-Friday, 7am-4:30pm) and need medical attention, go to Employee Health at 700 University Bay Drive, Suite 101. At other times or in an emergency, go to the emergency department (C5/3) at the hospital. An employee may opt to seek medical attention with his/her own medical provider as well. No matter which option an employee selects, s/he should contact the Worker’s Compensation Program Manager, (608) 263-9206, or Worker’s Compensation Specialist, (608) 265-5563, after seeing the medical provider to update them and to determine the next steps.
- If an employee sustains an injury or suffers from an illness that may be work-related, the employee should complete a UWHC Accident Report. You can use either the online report or complete a paper copy.
- Online form: Fill out the Employee Occupational Injury and Illness Report and click on Submit. The form is then sent to the employee’s supervisor who will complete his/her section.
- Paper form: An employee may obtain a paper form from a number of sources: Supervisor, Employee Health or the Workers’ Compensation Department (700 University Bay Drive). Complete the "Employee Information" and "Employee Injury/Illness Information" on the Employee Occupational Injury and Illness Report and the top "Employee" section of the Employer's First Report of Injury or Disease. Employee should sign the form where indicated and give the form/reports to his/her supervisor to complete the remaining employer sections.
- Supervisors should notify the Worker’s Compensation Program Manager, (608) 263-9206, or Worker’s Compensation Specialist, (608) 265-5563, immediately once it is known that a claim will involve time lost from work.
If an employee incurring a work-related injury/illness is deemed to be eligible for worker’s compensation, the employee will receive compensation as defined in policy 9.17, Workers' Compensation.
Policy 9.17 Workers’ Compensation
Policy 9.33 Personnel