Employees can help prevent fire by observing the following fire precautions:
- Keep work areas free from unnecessary, combustible material
- Handle flammable materials with care
- Never use lighted products where oxygen is being administered
- Know the location of emergency exits, fire alarm pull stations and fire equipment in your area
- Report any fire hazard to supervisors
In the event of a fire, RACE:
- Rescue: Remove all patients and staff from area.
- Alert: Pull the nearest fire alarm, dial *333 for Facilities and Engineering Services.
- Confine: Close all doors.
- Extinguish: If fire is small enough and employee has completed fire extinguisher training.
When there is a fire alarm in an area or building, whether a drill or real event, the Fire Alarm Evaluation Form should be completed by at least one person in each department/area. For additional resources related to fire alarms and prevention, please see Fire Safety.