- Know where extinguishers are located in your work area
- Use only if you are familiar with the proper use of an extinguisher
- Position yourself between the fire and the door
- Remember that fire extinguisher contents are under pressure
- Use the correct type of extinguisher
Proper Use of Fire Extinguisher – PASS
Pull the pin
Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire.
Squeeze the trigger while holding the extinguisher upright.
Sweep the extinguisher from side to side covering the area of the fire.
Fight or Flight?
- Sound the fire alarm. Make sure that someone is notifying the fire department and that people are evacuating the building.
- Evaluate the fire. Determine whether you can safely fight the fire with the extinguisher you have on hand. If hazardous or flammable materials are near the fire, the situation might be quite dangerous. It might be best to leave the building and let trained fire fighters handle the fire.
- If the smoke is very heavy or building up rapidly, leave immediately
- Make sure you know how to properly operate the fire extinguisher and the right way to fight the fire
- Make sure you have an unobstructed escape route to your back, in case you cannot extinguish the fire
- Approach the fire cautiously and be ready to evacuate quickly if conditions change
If you decide to use a fire extinguisger, remember PASS.