Patient Services,

Departments & Programs,UW Medical Foundation,Patient Resources,Social Work Services Quick Guide,Social Work Manual,Travel/Transportation

Urgent Passports and Visas

Urgent Passports and Visas - Departments & Programs, UW Medical Foundation, Patient Resources, Social Work Services Quick Guide, Social Work Manual, Travel/Transportation


If a patient is critically ill, and a family member from another country needs an urgent visa/passport in order to be able to visit, the following steps should be taken, as suggested by Shiva Bidar-Sielaff (manager of interpreter services):

  1. Have the doctor write a letter addressing the critical nature of the medical situation. This should be worded as strongly as possible. The full name of the patient and the full name of the family member should be included.
  2. The letter should be faxed to the U.S. Consulate in that country.
  3. A follow-up phone call should then be made to make sure they received the fax and to ask what else the family member should do to follow-up. If you are not sure what time zone the office is in, you can consult The World Clock.