Create a barrier to prevent the attempt in the present.
- Ex: remove weapons/toxic substances from the home
Contracts are highly overvalued by treaters.
- They do not prevent suicide and do not prevent potential liability
- They are most meaningful when they involve loved ones
Safety plans are a useful tool but are also overvalued by professionals.
- The are useful in helping people to problem solve about how to get help but are not necessarily followed
Once the person is safe, modify the risk factors that can be modified.
- May or may not involve hospitalization
- Treat psychiatric illness
- Drugs are not enough, need to be used in conjuction with psychotherapy
- Treat substance abuse
- Find social supports
- Decrease isolation
- Treat pain
Based on presentation 1/30/2007 by Dr. Molli Rolli