24 Hour Crisis Lines
- Journey Mental Health: (608) 280.2600)
- (866) 4CRISIS, (866) 427-4747)
- The Help Line: (561) 659-6900 (www.thehelpline.com)
USA National Suicide Hotlines: (800) SUICIDE, (800) 784-2433) or (800) 273-TALK, (800) 273-8255)
Access Community Health Center
Will see patients without insurance, and are comfortable prescribing psychiatric medications even though they do not have a psychiatrist. Patients must receive their primary care there.
Access to Independence
2345 Atwood Ave
Adolescent Alcohol/Drug Abuse intervention Program
122 East Olin Ave.
(608) 262-1111 or (608) 263-8173
- Provides comprehensive outpatient alcohol and drug assessment and referral to Dane County adolescents 18 and younger
Alcohol/Drug Treatment Program
625 West Washington Ave, Madison, WI 53703
- Men and women helping each other to recover from alcoholism, meets at numerous sites and times. Call for information.
For people without insurance from Columbia Co who need treatment at UW Psychiatry unit - not something that you can get in advance - ask Psychiatry SWers for more information.
Help-line: (608) 258-0314
- A group for people affected by alcoholism in their family or circle of friends. Meets daily at numerous sites. Call for information
Arboretum Counseling- Center for Psychotherapy and Sex Therapy
921 Chapel Hill Road
- Psychotherapy and sex therapy for couples, individuals, families and groups
- Sliding fee scale.
Badger Spill (Supporting Peers In Laidback Listening)
512 East Washington Ave.
24 Hour Crisis Line: (800) 798-1126
- 24 hour teen crisis line, support groups, crisis hours, services for runaway teens, counseling for parents and teens
- Crisis homes available
Bridges for Families
1500 Highland Ave Room A127
- Provides home-based education and/or therapy to children (within Madison School District) younger than 3 with developmental disabilities or delays
Campus Assistance Center
716 Langdon St., (Red Gym)
- Drop-in and telephone center where UW students can turn for help with almost anything
3577 High Point Rd. (Administration Offices)
30 S. Franklin St. (Counseling Center)
- Programs and services include adoption, crisis pregnancy counseling, refugee resettlement, financial assistance and mental health, alcohol and drug treatment. No one denied services due to inability to pay.
Center for Life and Loss Integration
A Grief Counseling Center
4123 Monona Drive
1321 E. Mifflin St. Suite 200
- Serves the Hispanic Community by providing support services, seeks emergency food/shelter for people in need, offers youth programs, job placement and referral, transportation and community outreach
Children's Service Society
2800 Royal Ave., Suite 310
- Offers family, individual and group counseling to children and families experiencing behavioral, emotional, academic, peer, alcohol and drug issues
- Insurance and sliding fee scale available
844 Williamson St.
- Work support program for individuals with mental illness
306 N. Brooks St.
- Consumer operated program focusing on mental health art and activities for people who suffer with a mental illness. Call for a calendar of events.
- Open to families, friends, and allies
Community Counseling Center of Madison
6629 University Avenue, Ste 209, Middleton
- Accepts MA
- Practioners offer a free half-hour consultation so patients can assess for best fit
Community Treatment Options
124 W. Mifflin St. Madison
Dane County Department of Human Services
- Downtown, East and North East: (608) 242-6200
- South, West: (608) 273-6600
- Stoughton: (608) 873-5636
- Sun Prairie: (608) 837-7380
- Black Earth: (608) 767-3691
- After hours phone: (608) 255-6067
- Legal authority to investigate child abuse/neglect and provide services
Domestic Abuse Intervention Services
PO Box 1761
Business Line: (608) 251-1237
24 Hour Crisis Line
(608) 251-4445 or (800) 747-4045
- Counseling through crisis line, advocacy, legal advocacy, information and referral. Shelter for women and children open year round. Counseling by appointment, offers support groups and community education. No fee for services.
Family Enhancement Center
- Offers parent education and support groups
- Early childhood center
- Groups available in Spanish
- Part of Edgewood’s therapist training and is sliding scale only
128 East Olin Ave
(608) 251-1320 or (608) 252-1334 or (888) 868-5136 (credit counseling)
- Offers mental health services for family and individual counseling (parents and children), offers in-home therapy and day treatment program for children. Alternatives to Aggression group for all ages. Specializes in financial counseling and domestic violence counseling.
First Call for Help
- Confidential information and referral service on consumer protection, senior services, health care, emergency food and shelter, legal services and counseling
1050 Regent St.
- Support group for compulsive gamblers
101 Nob Hill Rd. suite 200
Fax: (608) 278-8204
- Drug and Alcohol counseling combined with mental health support. Offers individual therapy and group therapy. Young adult to adult.
Hancock Center for Movement Arts and Therapy
16 N. Hancock St.
Fax: (608) 251-0939
- Promotes dance-movement therapy. Workshops, classes, group and individual sessions for adults, families, and children
Harmonia: Madison Center for Psychotherapy
406 N. Pickney St.
- Personal growth, divorce, women’s issues, relationships, stress management, depression, eating disorders, alcohol and drug counseling, adult incest and other childhood violence, sex therapy, and sexual identity counseling
Jewish Social Services
6434 Enterprise Lane, Madison
Fax: (608) 278-7814
- Programs include immigrant resettlement and counseling and referral for individuals and families under stress, programs for the elderly
Journey Mental Health Center
(formerly Mental Health Center of Dane County)
625 West Washington, Ave
Crisis: (608) 280-2600
Youth Crisis: (608) 280-2610
- Mental Health/AoDA services for children, adults, elderly
- Alcohol Drug Treatment: (608) 280-2410
- Adult Clinical Services: (608) 280-2480
- Child/Family/Adolescent: (608) 280-2520
- Family Preservation Project: (608) 280-2520
- Medication Services Program: (608) 280-2510
- Mobile Outreach to Seniors (MOST): (608) 280-2480
- Southeastern Asian Program: (608) 280-2480
- Sliding fee scale
- Open Access Clinic (call intake at (608) 280-2720 with questions)
- Uninsured Pts seeking Mental Health services: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30am to 3:30pm
- Uninsured Pts seeking AODA services: Tuesday through Friday from 8:30am to 3:30pm
- Badgercare, straight MA, Unity or PPIC Pts seeking Mental Health or AODA: Tuesday through Friday from 8:30am to 3:30pm
Lake Monona Psychotherapy
Therapists take MA.
Has an NP who will prescribe.
Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee, Inc.
- Legal representation to people with a mental illness is Milwaukee County
- Sees people at churches
- Takes MA and private insurance but not Medicare
Lutheran Social Services
5 Odana Court Suite 117
- Provides counseling, foster care, adoptions and family life education; has a residential treatment center for emotionally disturbed and chemically dependent adolescents. Provides residential services for people with chronic mental or developmental disabilities.
- Sliding fee scale for all ages
Madison Community Health Center/Access Community Health Center
2202 South Park St.
- Medical treatment
- Sliding fee scale
Madison Counseling Services
Madison Urban League
151 E. Gorham St.
- Employment, helping people look for work and improving their employability. Program for single teen parents achieve economic self-sufficiency and offers counseling and assistance to African American families.
Manning Counseling Center
1050 Regent St. #201
- Substance abuse, mental health, compulsive gambling and legal treatment
Mendota Mental Health Institute
301 Troy Drive
- Inpatient treatment units
- Program of Assertive Community Treatment (PACT, (608) 266-0721
- Community Support Program
- Support with medication, job counseling, housing and mental health services (treatment, rehab, support services and case management)
Mental Health Associates
20 S. Park St. Suite 408
Fax: (608) 256-4449
- Mental health support for all ages, specializes in child evaluation and treatment, coping with physical conditions, grief, and neuropsychology
Mental Health Solutions
7633 Ganser Way, Suite 204
Fax: (608) 829-1885
- Mental health support for all ages, solution based approach
- Jack Sherman, Health Psychologist, email@example.com
1313 East Washington Ave.
Therapists take MA.
- A group for men and women for whom drugs have become a major problem. Recovering addicts meet together to help each other stay clean. No fees or dues. 24 hour help line.
National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI)
Dane County Chapter- (608) 249-7188
Wisconsin- (608) 268-6000
National- (703) 524-7600
Fax: (703) 524-9094
NAMI Helpline (consumers and families only) (800) 950-NAMI
New Directions Information Center
- Open 10am – 2pm
- Information and referral center: “Your Guide to Mental Health and Substance Abuse Resources in Dane County”A consumer operated information service
Out-patient and Adolescent Program, 1015 Gammon Lane
Inpatient/Day Treatment, 309 W. Washington Ave.
Mount Horeb Clinic, 600 N. 8 th St.
- Chemical dependency rehab program, including inpatient and outpatient services. Serving adult, children and families. Connected to Meriter Hospital.
Off the Square Club
408 W. Gorham
- Fee social club for adults with mental illness
- Open Monday-Friday, 10am-4pm and Saturday, 10am-2pm
- Meals on Monday at 12:15pm for a very low cost
206 E. Olin Ave. Suite
- Group of men and women who meet to share their experience and strength to solve their common problem of compulsive eating. No fees or dues. Call for meeting schedule.
Parent/Infant Development Program and Clinic
600 Highland Ave
- Consultation, evaluation and therapy for families with children under 4 years of age, post-partum depression program for mothers, program for pregnant women with psychiatric issues or history of domestic violence
Parental Stress Center
1227 N Sherman Ave
- Parental Stress Line, (608) 241-2221: 24 hour crisis line/confidential
- Parents Anonymous, (608) 241-4888: Free support group for parents concerned about abusing their children
- Children Helping Children, (608) 241-4888: 10 week peer support program for children
- Family Nurturing Program, (608) 241-4888: 12 week program for parents and children striving to improve their communication pattern and parenting skills
- Oasis, (608) 241-4888: Treatment program for children who have survived molestation/incest
Patricia Miles Patterson
- Pat is licensed by the State of Wisconsin as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Her psychotherapy practice consists of general psychotherapy, marital and relationship therapy, women’s concerns, the treatment of sexual dysfunctions and trauma (rape, child sexual abuse) and sex offending
- She also provides psychotherapy to people with developmental disabilities who experience these same issues and concerns
Phonix Counseling - Sun Prairie
Therapists will take MA.
David Roethe will see MA/Medicare patients.
- Peer based support, intervention, and support for parents of chemically involved children
831 East Washington Ave.
- Counseling for children/families (ages 7 and under) in which there has been abuse or is a risk of abuse
Rape Crisis Center
128 E. Olin Ave.
Business Line: (608) 251-5126
24 Hour Crisis Line: (608) 251-7273
- Serves women, men, and children who are survivors of sexual assault, incest, and other forms of sexual abuse. Individual counseling, support groups, and therapy groups; medical and legal advocacy and accompaniment; crisis intervention and referral. Services free and confidential.
Rebos-Chris Farley House
810 W. Olin Ave.
- Halfway House for recovering male alcoholics and drug addicts
Recovery Dane Medication Only Psychiatry Clinic
- The Medication Only Clinicwill serve 40 patients/year who have been unable to get referral to psychiatrist due to funding
- These patients may have Medical Assistance (no HMO attached), no insurance, underinsured
- Each patient can be seen quarterly
- The provider is Dr. Thacker
- If you have any questions or want to make a referral call (608) 698-1944
The Respite Center
- 24 hour emergency care for children 14 years and younger, sliding fee scale, intake must be done prior with a parent, not a drop-off center
- Madison - (608) 238-4411
- Milwaukee - (414) 327-3000
- Oconomowoc - (262) 646-4411
Samaritan Counseling Center of Southern Wisconsin
2165 Linden Ave.
- Interfaith mental health clinic. Counseling and psychotherapy within a strong religious context
- A free self-help and support group aimed at abstinence from harmful addictive behaviors, including drug and alcohol abuse
1810 S. Park St.
(608) 287-0839, (608) 333-7379 for after hours emergencies
- Case management program for consumers with long term mental illness
State Defenders Office
Fax: (608) 267-0584
- Provides legal representation
300 Femrite Dr. Monona, WI 53716
- Detox, transitional housing program, inpatient/outpatient treatment for drug and alcohol addiction, counseling for adults and adolescents, Tellurian street team
2017 Fisher St.
Fax: (608) 280-3185
- Culturally specific mental health counseling to African American families and youth
- Connected with Mt. Zion Baptist Church
UW Counseling and Consultation
VA Community Support Program
306 N. Brooks St.
Fax: (608) 280-7149
Veterans Substance Abuse Program
Wm. S. Middleton Veterans Hospital
2500 Overlook Terrance
- Drug and alcohol program for veterans
- Case management, job and housing info, anger management and counseling
Wisconsin Coalition for Advocacy
Madison: (608) 267-0214 (800) 928-8778 FAX (608) 267-0368
Milwaukee: (414) 342-8700
Fax: (414) 342-7900
- Protection and advocacy for adults and children with a mental illness who are residing in hospitals, nursing homes, group homes or other care institutions
Wisconsin Family Ties
(608) 267-6888 in Madison or (800) 422-7145 outside Madison
- Family support, education, advocacy, referral, support groups and educational opportunities.
- Run by families for families that include children and adolescents who have emotional, behavioral, and mental disorders.
WI Psychiatric Institute and Clinics
6001 Research Park Blvd.
Fax: (608) 263-0265
- Individual therapy and psychiatry
- Program for postpartum depression at (608) 263-9210
- New Clients
- Clients with Unity
- WISPIC makes priority appointments for people with Unity insurance
- Clients with MA, Medicare, or other private insurance
- Need to call WISPIC themselves at the beginning of the month to see if there are any openings in the schedule for that month
- They do NOT keep a waiting list for these people
- Clients with MA need to have a PCP in the UW system
- Clients with primary care physician in UW Health System
- WISPIC keeps a waiting list ONLY for new clients referred by a UW Health primary care physician
- WISPIC does not prioritize people who are inpatients at UW Hospital including referrals from the inpatient psychiatric unit or the ER
- Clients with Unity
- Existing Clients
- Receive priority scheduling
- On-call after hours
Wisconsin Psychological Center, LLC
- Julieann Trimmel, LPC, CAC
- Licensed Professional Counselor
- Bilingual: Spanish/English
- 49 Kessel Court, Suite # 204
Madison, WI 53711608
- Accepts private insurance: GHC, Referrals required for Dean, in the process of accepting WPS and Medicare
- Sliding Fee Scale offered
- Does not accept MA
Wisconsin Ombudsman Program
Fax (608) 261-6570
- For people with mental illness who receive long term care in nursing homes, group homes or services through community options program
802 E. Gorham St.
- Club house for people who suffer with a mental illness. Program provides long term support and works on coping skills.