6406 Bridge Road, Suite 18
Madison, WI 53784-0018
The Wisconsin Health Insurance Risk Sharing Plan (HIRSP) offers health insurance to Wisconsin residents who, due to their medical conditions, are unable to find adequate health insurance coverage in the private market.
HIRSP State Pool
(800) 828-4777 or (608) 221-4551
6 month pre-existing condition waiting period
Exception for patients who have exhausted COBRA
The HIRSP extension proposal has been passed by the full legislature and signed by Governor Walker. The bill extends HIRSP for three months, through March 31, 2014.
HIRSP members had to be enrolled with HIRSP on December 1, 2013 and have paid their December premium in order to qualify for the extension
The correct due date for January premiums is February 1st
Rates, deductibles and subsidies will remain at 2013 levels for the three-month HIRSP extension period; however, your HIRSP deductible will reset on January 1st
HIRSP Federal Pool
- New enrollment was suspended as of 3/2/2013
- HIRSP Federal has been extended through March 31, 2014
- (608) 441-5777
- No pre-existing condition waiting period
- Pre-existing condition criteria (effective 10/20/2011)
- You must have been without creditable coverage for 6 months (which includes HIRSP State and BadgerCare)
- Exceptions made for indemnity or fixed fee plans
HIRSP Medicare Supplements
- HIRSP members who have already enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan during the 2013 open enrollment period that ended on December 7, 2013, are NOT eligible for the extension. All other HIRSP Medicare Supplement members may remain with HIRSP through all or part of the extension period.
- When your HIRSP coverage ends, you will have a 63-day enrollment period to secure a new Medigap plan and a 60-day enrollment period to secure a Medicare Advantage plan if it contains Medicare Part D drug coverage.
- You will NOT be able to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan if it does not contain Part D drug coverage.