Departments & Programs,UW Medical Foundation,Patient Resources,Social Work Services Quick Guide,Social Work Manual,Financial,Health Care Exchange
Enrollment Periods - Departments & Programs, UW Medical Foundation, Patient Resources, Social Work Services Quick Guide, Social Work Manual, Financial, Health Care Exchange
- Marketplace open enrollment for 2014 ends March 31, 2014
- Open enrollment for 2015 is from November 15, 2014 to January 15, 2015
- In order to buy a Marketplace health insurance plan outside the open enrollment period, you must have a qualifying life event. Qualifying life events that create a special enrollment period include:
- Getting married
- Having, adopting, or placement of a child
- Permanently moving to a new area that offers different health plan options
- Losing other health coverage
- For example due to a job loss, divorce, loss of eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP, expiration of COBRA coverage, or a health plan being decertified
- Note: Voluntarily quitting other health coverage or being terminated for not paying your premiums are not considered loss of coverage. Losing coverage that is not minimum essential coverage is also not considered loss of coverage.
- For people already enrolled in Marketplace coverage, having a change in income or household status that affects eligibility for tax credits or cost-sharing reductions
- Most special enrollment periods last 60 days from the date of the qualifying life event
- Special Enrollment Periods and Hardship Exemptions
- If you enroll in a private health insurance plan any time between October 1, 2013 and December 23, 2013 and make your first premium payment, your new health coverage starts January 1, 2014.
- During the rest of open enrollment, if you enroll between the 1st and 15th day of the month and pay your premium, your coverage begins the first day of the next month. So if you enroll on February 10, 2014, your coverage begins March 1, 2014.
- If you enroll between the 16th and the last day of the month and pay your premium, your effective date of coverage will be the first day of the second following month. So if you enroll on February 16, 2014, your coverage starts on April 1, 2014.