Patient Services,

Departments & Programs,UW Medical Foundation,Patient Resources,Social Work Services Quick Guide,Social Work Manual,Financial


COBRA - Departments & Programs, UW Medical Foundation, Patient Resources, Social Work Services Quick Guide, Social Work Manual, Financial




COBRA and Divorce


COBRA and Medicare

  • If you already have COBRA when you enroll in Medicare, your COBRA coverage usually ends on the date you enroll in Medicare. If you have COBRA and become Medicare-eligible, you should enroll in Part B immediately because you are not entitled to a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) when COBRA ends. Your spouse and dependents may keep COBRA for up to 36 months, regardless of whether you enroll in Medicare during that time.
  • If you already have Medicare when you become eligible for COBRA, you must be allowed to enroll in COBRA. Unless you qualify for Medicare because you have ESRD, Medicare acts as the primary payer and COBRA as the secondary payer, so you should stay enrolled in Medicare Part B. You may wish to take COBRA if you have very high medical expenses and your COBRA plan offers you generous extra benefits, like prescription drug coverage.