Respite Care for Children
The Respite Center at 2120 Fordem Ave (244-5700) provides short-term respite care for children ages birth–14 whose families are in an emergency situation or transition. They are available 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
Charges are based on a sliding fee scale.
Respite Care for Dependent Adults
Every month, the East Madison /Monona Coalition (EMMCA) offers Evening Respite Care for Caregivers on the first and third Thursday of the month from 5–8:30pm, and second and fourth Saturdays from 1–4:30 pm.
- 24 hours notice is required
- Cost: $5.00/session (due to United Way grant)
- Location: 4142 Monona Drive, next to the Lake Edge Shopping Center
- Contact Tammy or Alyssa at 223-3112
- Light snack with activities provided by trained staff
- Drop-In Service is also available during the regular day center weekly daytime program. Contact by noon the day before
Some area nursing homes will admit dependent adults if their caregiver needs to be admitted to UWHC. Unless this adult was discharged from a hospital within the last 30 days, Medicare will not cover the charges. Therefore, it is usually private pay. Both require a chest x-ray within the last 90 days and an H&P within the last 5 days.
Hess Memorial Hospital
(608) 847-6161 x421 Matt
- 3-week stay max
- Private Pay only
- Pt’s family must have prescriptions filled
- Provides “restorative nursing” – help with ADL’s, PT, OT, etc.
- Stoughton Hospital "Supportive Care Program"
873-2243 or 873-6611; ask to speak with the nursing supervisor
- Prefer admissions to be planned 72 hours in advance
- 8 beds total
- Private Pay only
- Access to ER, laboratory, radiology, PT, OT, Speech Therapy
Some area assisted living residences may offer respite services as well.
- Angelus Retirement Community
6902 Parkside Circle
- Staffed 24 hours a day
- Weekly housekeeping & laundry services
- Three nutritious meals a day
- Minimum of one-week stay up to one month
- Based on availability
- $125/day and $250 administration fee as of 8-06
Independent Living clients can choose from in-home respite or respite at an assisted living residence. Independent Living Inc. is a non-profit, multi-service agency that assists people with disabilities and older adults, enabling them to live with dignity and independence while maintaining health and well-being.