What service(s) do you provide?
- Chronic pain is a complex problem affecting physical and emotional well-being. Most patients with persistent pain have significant functional limitation and disability. Many develop depression and anxiety which worsen function and interfere with resolution of pain.
- The mission of the UW Pain Treatment and Research Center is to provide advanced and comprehensive care for patients with chronic pain through curative, comforting and restorative therapies, education and research.
- Our services begin with detailed assessment to identify the mechanisms underlying chronic pain and determine coexisting psychosocial and functional impairment. We develop individualized treatment programs with specific therapeutic recommendations.
- Treatment may include pharmacotherapy; rehabilitation with a functional-restoration focus; image-guided interventional procedures; behavioral and insight-oriented psychotherapy. Emphasis is placed on development and implementation of the treatment plan together with the referring provider.
When is it appropriate to initiate a referral to your service?
- When patients have severe chronic or acute pain refractory to conservative management.
Who can initiate a referral?
- Inpatient: any physician or nurse can initiate consult (an MD order is not necessary although we request that RNs discuss the need for consult with MD team before requesting consult)
- Outpatient: Any physician may refer patients to the Center.
What hours are you available?
- Inpatient: Consultation is available business days (M-F, no holidays) 8:00-16:30 on a non-urgent basis via pager and can be entered into A2K at any time.
- Outpatient: The Center is open 8am–5pm, Monday–Friday.
How do we reach you?
- Inpatient: Business Days 8am–4:30pm, Monday–Friday. Page 1010 or enter consult via HealthLink
- Outpatient: Call 263-9550 (fax 263-0135).
Is there a separate fee added to the patient’s bill for your service(s)?
- Inpatient: There is no charge
- Outpatient: Patients are billed for clinic visits plus a small facilities surcharge.
What is your response time?
- Inpatient: 24 hours (business days)
- Outpatient: New referrals are seen within four to six weeks.
Pain Management Resources