What service(s) do you provide?
- Formal and informal patient and family education.
- Clinical Program Coordinators (LC nurses) provide defined teaching/learning sessions related to pre-op instructions (i.e., ortho, adult and pediatric cardiac, general surgery, peds ENT, GYN, urology and more), self-care skills (i.e., glucose meters, drawing up and mixing insulin, injection techniques and more), and Smoking Cessation Counseling at the West Clinic.
- In addition, patients, family members, staff and the community come to or call the LC for Health Facts for You and general health information.
- The Learning Center website allows clinicians to view, order and print HFFY 24/7.
When is it appropriate to initiate a referral to your service?
- Formal sessions for outpatient pre-op teaching sessions are scheduled by surgery schedulers using the LC scheduling template on WISCR or by calling the nearest LC location (see phone numbers below).
- Inpatient sessions are also added to the schedule by calling 26-LEARN (5-3276) or by placing a computer generated consult. Referrals should be initiated as soon as the defined learning need is identified and you believe you need assistance with the teaching.
Who can initiate a referral?
- Outpatient pre-op sessions are built into a defined work-up process and are initiated by surgery schedulers.
- Inpatient sessions are most often requested by unit clinical staff. Although some requests are via Physician Orders, this is not a requirement.
- Patients and family members may also self-refer for general information.
What hours are you available?
- LC at the CSC (6th floor off the D elevator) has "open-door hours" 1–4pm weekdays.
- Nurses are otherwise on the inpatient units from 8am–4:30pm.
- LC at West Clinic is open weekdays 8am–4:30pm.
- LC at East Clinic is open Monday and Wednesday from 8am–4:30pm.
- LC at Research Park is open weekdays 8am–4:30pm.
- LC within the Surgery Work-up Clinic at the CSC is open weekdays from 7:30–4:00pm.
How do we reach you?
- LC at CSC 26-LEARN (5-3276)
- LC at West Clinic 5-7667
- LC at East Clinic 5-1204
- LC at Research Park 5-8393
- LC within the Surgery Work-up Clinic 3-7744
- For questions about Health Facts for You, call 3-6496
Is there a separate fee added to the patient's bill for your service(s)?
- Nominal charge only.
What is your response time?
As scheduled or within 24 hours whenever possible.
Other things we should know?
- Teaching/learning sessions are well defined with the cooperating unit or clinic. When completed, the LC nurse will document teaching/learning and communicate variances to the appropriate unit/clinic staff.
- Health Facts for You are produced through the Learning Center. If you have questions or suggestions, let us know.
- If you are not sure whether or not we provide a teaching session and/or have a resource that may be beneficial to patients, stop by or give us a call. We're here to help!