ACE is an interdisciplinary consultation service for hospitalized patients over the age of 65 years. The goal of the ACE team is to provide geriatric evaluation for frail older adults at high-risk of complications which can lead to longer hospital stays, long-term disability, nursing home placement and increased morbidity and mortality. Good reasons for ACE consultation include:
- Delirium/dementia/depression (Note: Delirium is easier to prevent than treat)
- Decreased mobility/falls
- Restraint use
- Increased dependence/deconditioning
- Incontinence/elimination concerns
- Skin integrity issues
- Medication safety problems
- Nutrition issues
- Caregiver/living situations
The ACE consultation team consists of an advanced practice nurse, a social worker, a pharmacist, a physical therapist and a geriatrician and aims to:
- Improve the quality of care of hospitalized older adults
- Prevent functional decline
- Improve patient safety
- Prevent onset or worsening of delirium
- Reduce hospital length of stay
- Facilitate discharge to appropriate settings
- Assist with transition of care settings
How It Works
A physician must request the ACE consult. The ACE consult team would like to get referrals as soon as possible after admission. The referral triggers a comprehensive interdisciplinary review of the patient by the ACE team.
The patient’s plan of care is reviewed and recommendations are communicated back to the primary physician service, nursing service, case management and other involved health disciplines. The ACE team will not take over the care of the patient but rather provide consultation on geriatric issues. The medical/surgical management remains in the hands of the admitting service.
Consults are now available during daytime hours, Monday-Friday. Simply enter a hand written or electronic order for an ACE consult. Please consider this innovative service for the benefit of your elderly patients.
For more information contact:
Maria Brenny-Fitzpatrick, NP
Office: F6/577, UW Hospital
Phone: 263-6980 (pager 5817)
Consults must be received by 10am at the latest (not available weekends) in order for team to see the patient that day (they round from 11am–12pm Monday–Friday).
Arrange for ACE Team Consults
HFFY #3035 Dementia