Inpatient Consultation Service
Phone: (608) 263-7919
Center for Addictive Disorders
Area of Service
UW Hospital Inpatient
Hours of Operation
- Services are offered Monday through Friday 8am-5pm
- Services are not available Saturday and Sunday or on Holidays
- On-call physician available outside of regular hours of operation for withdrawal/detoxification consultations
Patient Population Served
Individuals 18 years of age and older.
- Dr. Randall Brown
Additional MD coverage
- Fellows (see paging)
- Susan Mindock, LPC, CSAC
- David O'Donnell, MA, CSAC
AODA Consult Request
- AODA assessment and treatment planning
- Referral to community AODA resources
- Patient education
- Evaluation for organ transplantation (donors and recipients)
- Support for affected family members
General Program Information
- The UW Center for Addictive Disorders provides both inpatient and outpatient consultation for alcohol and other drug assessments. Evaluations are offered for diagnostic assessments for addiction disorders, management of alcohol and other drug withdrawal, and psychosocial counseling.
- Inpatient consultation is appropriate when a patient, family member or staff member has concern about the patient’s use of alcohol or other drugs.
- It is important to be specific if possible, about what type of AODA staff are being requested (AODA counselors, physician) to provide consultation.
- Outpatient consultation is limited to patients undergoing evaluation for organ transplantation and patients of the Infectious Disease service.
- Inpatient consultation requires a physician’s order.
- Inpatient response time within 24 hours (weekdays).
- Assessments are available weekdays, 8:00am-4:30pm
- Medical assistance from a physician is available as needed.