Patient Services,

UW Medical Foundation,Patient Resources,Social Work Services Quick Guide,Social Work Manual,Abuse and Neglect,Domestic Abuse,How To's

How To Obtain a Restraining Order

How To Obtain a Restraining Order - UW Medical Foundation, Patient Resources, Social Work Services Quick Guide, Social Work Manual, Abuse and Neglect, Domestic Abuse, How To's


A temporary Restraining Order of Domestic Abuse Injunction is designed for the protection of domestic abuse victims. You can apply for an order by going to the Family Court offices, which are located in Room 104 of the City-County Building, 210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., Madison during regular business hours. There is no fee for the petitioner.

In most cases, a Restraining Order can be served by a Dane County Sheriff's Deputy on the same day that it is applied for. If the arrested person is still in jail, it can be served on him/her immediately in the jail.

At the time the temporary order is issued, a hearing date is set within 7 days to make the order permanent. Any violation of either a Temporary Restraining Order or an Injunction is a criminal violation which will result in the defendant being immediately arrested.

Domestic Abuse Intervention Services provides a free legal advocacy program to assist you in obtaining a Restraining Order/Injunction. For legal assistance, counseling, or shelter call them 24 hours a day at (608) 251-4445.

Information provided by the Sheriff's Office and Domestic Abuse Intervention Services


National Domestic Violence Hotline

National Domestic Violence Hotline Resource List

Power and Control Wheels

U.S.Department of Justice Violence Against Women Office