Departments & Programs,UW Health,Telehealth,Inmate Medicine: Telemedicine
Implementing the Telemedicine Visit
Implementing the Telemedicine Visit - Departments & Programs, UW Health, Telehealth, Inmate Medicine: Telemedicine
Department of Corrections (DOC) Health Service Unit (HSU)
- DOC PA calls UW Clinic to schedule telemed. Records as a telemed appointment.
- DOC staff to follow up on pre-visit protocols for that clinic and the doctor's notes from previous visit-getting labs, etc.
- Fax/send any requested tests, allergies, meds, lab results to UW clinic. These should be recent results and updated information.
- Fax any forms requested for the inmate to fill out.
- Fax the Off-Site Request Form.
- Use the new Telemed fax cover sheet for telemedicine visits.
- Turn on equipment ahead of time even if patient is not there yet.
- Arrange for patient to be in the HSU area 15 minutes before the visit.
- Obtain vitals, ht, wt, etc. before the UW provider arrives.
- RN provides assistance with additional examination if requested by the UW provider.
- RN either stays for the visit or re-enters the exam room at the end of the visit.
- RN receives information and suggested recommendations from the UW provider.
- HSU to receive Off-site Request Form that same day via fax from the UW clinic.
- HSU forwards recommendations to the DOC health provider.
- If DOC health provider changes recommendations, DOC health provider fills out "Change of Recommendations" form and HSU faxes back to UW clinic.
UW Clinical Staff
- Protocols are developed by diagnosis by UW clinic. UW health provider indicates tests, etc. needed in notes from previous visit.
- Clinic Assistant (CA) schedules appointment and identifies it as telemed.
- UW clinic verifies location of the inmate.
- Staff tracks for fax of Off-site Request Form, test results, etc. 1-3 days before telemed.
- Staff contacts HSU if information has not been received or located by the clinic.
- Staff assigned to assist UW provider and make the connection to the HSU.
- UW staff to make the connection before the time of the appointment unless doing back-to-back telemed visits. Staff may take down vitals, etc.
- Health provider will fill out recommendations on the Off-Site Request Form. Provider will indicate on form if next visit to be by telemed or in clinic.
- Health provider may review recommendations with DOC RN.
- Billing: Health Provider or assistant fills out encounter form. Next to visit type, the letters "GT" should be written in for the health provider to be paid at the telemedicine rate.
- Staff will fax back the Off-Site Request Form that day.
- UW provider to dictate to HSU in a timely manner.
- UW staff may receive "Change of Recommendations" from the DOC HSU. This form will be forwarded to the UW provider and placed in the chart.