Media relations goes far beyond writing a press release and calling a reporter. One of the most effective ways of reaching your target audience and influence public opinion is to engage with the news media in a planned way. Our team of media specialists builds relationships with reporters and provides them with quality content to generate coverage, share our stories and educate the public on the services we provide.
The media-relations team at UW Health includes science writers, media specialists and a video group all well-versed in helping the people and departments of UW Health tell their stories via the news media. Many are former journalists who understand the distinctive needs and expectations of reporters.
The duties of the team are diverse. While our overall goal is to generate positive coverage of UW Health, we accomplish that by providing services in a broad range of areas, including:
- Locating suitable experts for interviews by reporters for print, broadcast and online outlets
- Researching, writing and distributing news releases to external media
- Contacting individual reporters with ideas for stories and arranging logistics for those stories
- Producing video content for use by media and/or the various UW Health online platforms
- Working in close co-ordination with University Communications, the main news agency for UW-Madison
- Preparing faculty and staff for media interviews
- General media training
- Advising on communication strategy to manage sensitive and controversial issues
- Working with Marketing and Communications colleagues to create integrated communications to highlight new initiatives, services, or institutional messages
- Understanding HIPAA requirements for protection of certain health information
- Working with patients who may be involved in news stories
- Providing crisis communications services during emergencies
The media-relations team serves UW Health and all of its missions: clinical, research, educational and community service. If you have questions, want to discuss a story or ask for the team’s help with communications, please call Lisa Brunette, director of media relations, at (608) 263-5830 or email her at email@example.com. After hours and on weekends, a Communications staffer is on call 24-7 and can be reached through Paging at (608) 262-2122.