Organizational Services,

Departments & Programs,UW Hospital and Clinics

Parking and Transportation

Parking and Transportation - Departments & Programs, UW Hospital and Clinics

Where can I park? How can I get to work? And what are my options depending on how much I want to spend? These are all vital questions for UWHC employees, and the Parking and Transportation departments offer several resources to help you answer them.


The University of Wisconsin Transportation Services office manages the use of the parking lots that are used by hospital employees. Parking is assigned on an annual basis for the parking year that runs from September 1 - August 31 every year. During the spring of each parking year, Transportation Services will contact you about reapplying for parking for the year to come.

Please Note: The Patient and Visitor Parking Ramp at the Hospital is strictly prohibited to UW Health employees.


How can I reach the Health Sciences Unit Transportation Coordinator (UTC)?

Contact information for the Health Sciences UTC:

Location: Medical Sciences Center, Room B20
Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 8am-4:30pm
Phone: (608) 263-7943
Fax: (608) 262-0888
Email: healthsciencesparking@mailplus.wisc.edu

What commuting alternatives exist around Madison and the campus area?

Free Madison Metro bus passes are available to UW-Madison Health Sciences and UW Hospital and Clinics employees. Biking, walking, commuter van pools and remote park and ride lots are all alternatives that are available for all employees. Visit UW-Madison Commuter Solutions for more information

How do I contact UW-Madison Transportation Services and where is it located?

Transportation Services has offices in the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF) building, the UW-Madison Welcome Center and American Family Children's Hospital. View Transportation Services Location Information

As a UW Health Sciences Employee how do I request to apply for parking? 

Use the online Parking Request Application. If you have problems, contact the Health Sciences Unit Transportation Coordinator.

How much does it cost to park on campus?

View Parking Availability and Rates

How do I pay for a parking permit?

Campus parking permits are valid from September 1 to August 31. Everyone who parks on campus must reapply for parking every year. Payment options are:

If you apply for parking between May and August, you will be required to pay for parking in full by either cash, check or credit card. 

Agency staff, emeritus, and individuals in a zero-dollar pay status are also required to pay for their parking in full by either cash, check or credit card no matter when during the parking year they apply.

If you are a UW Medical Foundation (UWMF) employee and you apply for parking, the following applies to you:

For further information, contact the HR Service Center through Ask HR or by calling (608) 263-6500; or UW Transportation Services at (608) 263-6666.

Once you have accepted your offer, UW Transportation Services will mail your permit to the address you have provided. It is recommended that you do not list your work address. UW Transportation Services and UW Medical Foundation are not responsible for lost permits.

Monthly deductions start in September and run through May.

How are campus parking lot assignments made?

Assignments are made based on a parking score and priority number. All applicants within the Health Sciences Unit get 100 points for every $1,000 of salary and six points for each year of service (campus and/or state). Example:

Priority numbers are assigned based on the total parking points.

Can I apply for parking at any time throughout the year?

Yes. The annual parking offers are made during the summer and customers must claim their parking assignment by early August. After the initial assignments are made, new customers can apply for parking anytime throughout the year. New parking requests are processed and assignments made every two weeks through a "bi-weekly spin" from September through May of each year.

Can I apply for more than one lot?

Yes. It is encouraged that applicants initially apply for the maximum of four lots that they would consider, since many of the lots are difficult to get into. Applicants who accept an initial lot assignment can apply for one additional lot and be put on a waiting list until an offer to that lot becomes available.

What if I don't have access to a computer or e-mail?

While e-mail is the preferred method of contact, the Health Sciences Unit Transportation Coordinator can assist employees who do not have e-mail access. Employees can call (608) 263-7943 or visit Health Sciences Learning Center Room 1355 Monday-Friday from 8am to 4:30pm.

Is there a map showing locations of campus parking lots?

See the Campus Maps on the UW Transportation Services website.

If I no longer need my parking assignment, what do I do with my permit?

Cancelling an annual baselot, flex or park and ride assignment will result in the cancellation of all parking applications and wait lists for the current year. Cancellation is based on the date the products (permit, key and meter) are received by one of the UW Transportation Services locations.

What do I do if my permit is lost or stolen? 

Lost or stolen permits must be reported through UW Transportation Services' Lost or Stolen Permit Report Form (pdf).

What do I do if I can't remember my UW NetID and/or password for the Permit Application System (PAS)?

Contact the Health Sciences Unit Transportation Coordinator at healthsciencesparking@mailplus.wisc.edu or (608) 263-7943, and you will be provided with your 10-digit UW NetID for parking/transportation purposes only.

Once you obtain your UW NetID, you will then need to call the UW-Madison DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357, select option 1 and inform customer service that you need your NetID password reset in order to access the UW Transportation Services Parking Application System.

Then, visit NetID and Password Modification to change your temporary password.

Does UW-Madison have an emergency ride home program?

Yes. University employees who do not drive to work need to leave due to an emergency can use the Campus Emergency Ride Home program.

If the baselot that I park in is full, what are my options?

If you have problems parking in your assigned lot because of construction, snow problems or illegally parked vehicles, you should park in the next closet non-gated parking lot and report the problem as soon as possible through the Lot Full Form. You will need the following information:

What options do I have when I receive a parking citation?

You have two options when you receive a parking citation on the UW-Madison campus:

  1. Appeal the citation if you believe you received it in error, or
  2. Pay the citation

You can pay or appeal citations online through UW Transportation Services.

What do I need to do if I either left my parking permit in my other car, or if I just forgot my permit at home?

Annual Baselot permit holders can receive a maximum of three temporary parking permits per parking year. Each temporary permit may not exceed one day. You can pick these temporary permits up at any of the Transportation Services offices.

I currently work evening shift and am switching to the day shift. What do I do with my evening parking permit and how do I obtain a day shift parking permit?

If you have an evening shift permit (such as a 2:45 Restricted Permit for Lot 60), it needs to be returned to Angela Johnson in order to stop payroll deduction. To obtain a day shift permit, first review the necessary information and then complete the Parking Request Form.

You will receive a confirmation e-mail when the form is successfully completed. Once the form is processed into the campus Permit Application System, you will receive an e-mail with detailed instructions on how to obtain a UW NetID and password. You can then go to the Transportation Services website and apply for campus parking.

I currently work the day shift and am switching to the evening shift. What do I do with my day shift parking permit and how do I obtain an evening parking permit?

It is your responsibility to return all permits and notify UW Transportation Services if you terminate employment or no longer want your assignment.

Refunds or payroll deduction cancellations will not be processed until the permit and the completed cancellation form (pdf) is returned to one of the Transportation Services offices.


In order to obtain an evening shift permit (such as a 2:45 Restricted Permit for Lot 60), contact Angela Johnson at (608) 263-9207 or AJohnson4@uwhealth.org.


Material/Supply Transport

Courier Routes

Parking and Transportation Information

Health Sciences Parking Information

UW Transportation Services


Planning Design and Construction