The seven-bed Cardiology Intensive Care Unit, located on F4M5, receives the young adult to the elderly patients.
These patients may transfer from the Emergency Department, other hospitals/facilities, F45 Cardiology Stepdown Unit, or may be directly admitted from the cardiology clinics or the Heart & Vascular Care Procedure Center and be treated for myocardial infarctions, unstable angina, arrhythmia management, heart failure, cardiomyopathy.
The F4M5 staff are trained and competent in ECG monitoring, including:
- ST segment analysis
- Invasive physiologic monitoring, such as:
- Arterial blood pressures
- Central venous pressures
- Hemodynamic monitoring with pulmonary artery pressures and cardiac output measurement
The staff are also competent to administer vasoactive or other therapeutic medications, as well as manage patients on:
- Mechanical ventilation
- Temporary transvenous pacemakers
- Intra-aortic balloon pumps (IABP)
- Continuous renal replacement therapies (CRRT)