Patient Care,Patient Services,
Departments & Programs,UW Hospital and Clinics,Coordinated Care
Protocol: After 5pm and Weekends
Protocol: After 5pm and Weekends - Departments & Programs, UW Hospital and Clinics, Coordinated Care
- The case management team will make all attempts to arrange for discharge planning to take place Monday thru Friday from 8am to 5pm. However, at time, discharges happen at only a moment's notice. During those times you can look for Social Work and Case Management support if needed.
- Social workers rotate within an on call schedule. They are available after hours and weekends for emergent situations. Refer to "Contacting the Emergency On Call Social Worker after Hours."
- Case managers provide additional support on the weekends. A case manager is in-house to assist with discharge planning each Saturday from 8am to 4:30pm, and on-call, available by phone or pager 8am to 4:30pm on Sundays.
- When making home health, hospice or durable medical equipment referrals after hours or on the weekends it is typically not possible to check with insurance companies for the preferred providers. Regardless, give the patient a choice and notify them that their insurance company is closed for the day but that you can still make the referral.
- Many agencies can tell you if they have a contract or have worked with a particular insurance company. Alert the patient that they may choose to change agencies if they find out that another would be covered by their insurance. If it is unclear if the patients insurance will cover the cost or a portion of the cost, make the referral and notify the case manager so follow-up can occur.