Use the procedure below to order home or transport oxygen:
- The patient's pulse ox at rest or during ambulation on room air must be 88 percent or less. This must be documented in the chart within 48 hours of discharge.
- With this information and a qualifying illness (the respiratory therapist can help with this) you can call UW Home Care services at (608) 203-2273.
- Have the patient's name, medical record number, anticipated discharge date and liter flow available.
- The intake respiratory therapist will check with the patient and the insurance company regarding preferred provider.
- UW Home Care will help with the arrangement even if they are not the provider. They will provide the transport oxygen or remind the appropriate agency to do the same.
Special note: Patients with Medicare going home with hospice do not require qualifying oxygen sats.