Use the procedure below to arrange for medical transport.
Medical transport is used to transfer a patient who needs a wheelchair of stretcher due to their medical or functional condition. The primary nurse, with patient input, should assess the method (wheelchair, stretcher, cardiac chair, etc.) required.
- Consult with the patient and family to inquire about prior arrangements.
- If there is a need to arrange transport:
- Refer to the transportation list of medical transport agencies.
- Remember to ask your patient if they have a preference or choice of transportation company.
- The drivers are generally not medically trained and typically travel alone.
- This form of transportation is generally not covered by private insurance, i.e., Unity, Dean.
- Remind the patient that they will be responsible for cost not absorbed by insurance. It is also helpful if you can give the family an estimate of the cost.
- Medical Assistance may cover medical transport.
- The SMV form must be completed and given to the driver.
- Order oxygen as required.