The Innovation Grant Program invests in innovative ideas that tackle our most pressing challenges and advances our commitment toward the quadruple aim – improved health, improved care, improved provider and staff satisfaction, and smarter spending.
The following teams and projects that address the 2016/2017 priority areas of telehealth and shared decision making have been funded.
Improving Access to Quality Pediatric Diabetes Care through Telemedicine
- Executive Sponsors: Dr. David Allen and Jeff Poltawsky
- Project Team Leads: Dr. Tracy Bekx and Dr. Allison Pollock
- Additional Project Team Members: Telemedicine MAs, representatives at Aurora – Green Bay
- Brief Project Description: Tackle the logistical, technical, consent/privacy, and multiple other challenges needed to establish regional telemedicine as a key adjunct to the UW Health Pediatric Diabetes Care program. Enhance and ease patient access to expert diabetes care and education, increase adherence to standard-of-care follow-up, reduce patient costs, and strengthen our competitive reputation as the center for excellence for children with T1DM in Wisconsin.
Text to Teach: Using Text Messaging to Provide Supplemental Perioperative Patient and Family Education in Pediatric Otolaryngology
- Executive Sponsors: Barb Byrne and Dr. Tim McCulloch
- Project Team Lead: Brianna Schumacher
- Additional Project Team Members: Dr. Tony Kille, Dr. Diane Heatley, Dr. J. Scott McMurray, Dr Elizabeth Sisk, Lucy Smith, Barbara Buechel, Bethany Duckert, Jennifer Larson, Kari McConnell, Dawn Gordon
- Brief Project Description: Deliver clear and concise text messages to our patients’ caregivers at pertinent and vital times in the pre- and post-operative period as a supplemental educational tool for our patients and their families. Improve the well-being of our patients and their families, increase parent comfort and ability in caring for their child post-operatively and enhance provider and staff satisfaction.
Establishing a Regional Virtual Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (vNICU) at the American Family Children’s Hospital
- Executive Sponsors: Jeff Poltawsky and Dr. Ellen Wald
- Project Team Lead: Dr. Jamie Limjoco
- Additional Project Team Members: Dr. Chuck Leys, Dr. Nina Menda, Dr. Igor Iruretagoyena, Dr. Paola Fliman, Fiona Springman
- Brief Project Description: Exploration of need/readiness for change to develop a virtual NICU at AFCH to establish telehealth consultation and teleconferencing capabilities with other health care organizations. Help improve communication between UW Health and other health care organizations in addition to rounding and virtual consults. Improve patient and family satisfaction as they observe how providers can work together across sites on care plans that are consistent and coordinated in a seamless fashion
Thank you to all the teams that submitted proposals for project funding. For more information about the UW Health Innovation Grant Program, please email IGP@uwhealth.org.