If you are interested in observing or job shadowing with an APP or have been asked to be shadowed, please refer to Observer Process (Non-Physicians) page or contact the Vendor Liaison Office at (608) 890-8505.
Looking for an opportunity to share your knowledge, skills and expertise with APP students?
Being a preceptor to APP students or new graduates is a great way to share your clinical expertise, provide a high quality clinical experience and in many cases help create an opportunity for employment for these individuals. Our professional students, local university, surrounding colleges and patients need our help in educating the next generation of APPs.
Benefits to you
- Preceptorship can be used toward NP board recertification and serves toward Category 1 CME credit for PAs
- Preceptorship can be used toward NP board recertification and serves toward Category 5 CME credit for NPs ADD
- Continued professional growth and development as a clinical educator
- Sharing the importance of what we do as APPs and educators with our students, patients and organization
- Potential for volunteer or affiliate faculty appointments with the respective schools based on each school/programs’ criteria. This should be confirmed and coordinated with the School of Nursing and Physician Assistant Program coordinators.
If interested in being a preceptor, please complete this survey or contact the Office of Advanced Practice Providers at (608) 828-8542.
I’m an employee of UW Health but I’m not a UW SON student, is there anything specific I need to do to request a UW preceptor?
UW Health uses myClinicalExchange to receive NP, PA, and CNM student placement requests, assign preceptors, and onboard students. In order to be considered for a student placement, we ask that the school contact myClinicalExchange by emailing email@example.com. The myClinicalExchange team will work with your school to set up their program configurations to request your student placement at UW Health.
I’m an employee attending a PA program through a non-UW school, can I still request a UW preceptor?At this time we are not accepting PA program students outside of the UW-Madison system.
I would like to take a student or have already accepted a student this semester. Is there anything I need to do before the student arrives for their rotation?
There is a process for assuring that the student has the appropriate permissions and access for their clinical experience at UW Health. This process allows us to confirm affiliation agreements, background checks, health immunization and HIPPA requirements, security, ID badge and establish Health Link access for our learners. This process also helps to protect the student, preceptor, organization, and most importantly, our patients.
- Student or organization contacts you directly: Instruct the student/organization that they need to contact the Office of Advanced Practice Providers at (608) 828-8542 to start the process at least six weeks in advance to assure appropriate documents are in place.
- You reach out to a student or school: Contact the Office of Advanced Practice Providers at (608) 828-8542 to discuss prior to committing to a student or organization.