Learning and Development,Clinicians,
Departments & Programs,Programs and Initiatives,Advanced Practice Provider Resources,Administrative
Steps to Hire APPs
Steps to Hire APPs - Departments & Programs, Programs and Initiatives, Advanced Practice Provider Resources, Administrative
- The lead physician, medical school representative, medical director and clinic operations director review current state and determine if there is a need to add or replace an NP/PA, or replace a vacant MD position with an NP/PA. All new and replacement NP/PA request will be reviewed in a common, consistent manner by the Non-Physician Provider Workforce Planning Committee (NPP-WPC). This committee is made up of physicians, APPs, nursing, behavioral health and operational leadership, HR and department practice administration.
- Once the decision is made to request an APP provider, the hiring manager is responsible for collaborating with operations and submitting the APP request to the Non-Physician Provider-Workforce Planning Committee (NPP-WPC) for review and approval. Please refer to the Human Resources Position Control page for required forms and instructions.
- In an effort to align each new request with UW Health’s mission to deliver high value care (cost, quality, patient experience) and optimize APP providers to the top of their license capacity, each position will be reviewed.
- The positions approved by the NPP-WPC. If funding approval is needed, then the position will be taken to UW Health Funding Sub-Committee for final approval. The hiring manager will be notified of the Committee’s decision within 7-10 days.
- Once hiring manager receives approval to hire, they should submit a requisition through Taleo. If this is a new position or the position has changed, the hiring manager will need to contact the UWMF Compensation team to create or update the job description. Once this is complete, compensation will upload the appropriate job description template into Taleo and the requisition can be created.
- Once compensation receives the Taleo requisition, they will review and follow up with the hiring manager as needed.
- HR will post the position internally and externally through Taleo. Any additional advertising (i.e. print ads, online postings) can be coordinated with the recruiter and is a department paid expense.
- The supervising physician or designee informs HR of any specialist skills needed for an approved position.
- HR will receive all applications and determine if applicant meets minimum requirements.
- HR performs a telephone interview with the applicant. The phone interview is intended to evaluate and review educational background, interest in position, benefit information, department information, validate candidate continues to be interested in position, and general practice information.
- HR will forward all recommended applicants to the hiring manager for review.
- The interview should determine the likelihood of working effectively within the care team. The ability to function as a care team member and required core competencies should be evaluated during the interview process. While interviewing, skill levels may be assessed by presenting applicable case studies, reviewing past experiences and care history.
- It is required that interviewers have
- An established list of questions that will be sked of each applicant (Sample Interview Questions and “Illegal Questions”). The same list of questions must be asked of all applicants.
- The hiring manager can work with their recruiter to compile or review a list of interview questions. Once the interview is complete, the hiring manager is required to upload the interview notes into Taleo under the candidate profile.
- Case studies that address roles the applicant is expected to fill in the clinic.
- Use a candidate evaluation form during the interview process.
- Discussion on proposed scope of practice based on the roles they will be expected to perform.
- Effective interviewing is developed skill that can prove invaluable in assessing candidates for any position in UW Health. UWMF Human Resources has resources regarding the tools and skills required to perform an effective interview available for managers and supervisors. Included in these resources is a Learning and Development class called “Behavioral Interviewing” where interviewers can attend to build their interviewing skills and establish a foundation of questions.
- The supervising physicians and clinic manager approve offering the position to the selected candidate.
- The hiring manager will update the status of each candidate in Taleo (i.e. not selected and the reason why).
- The hiring manager will change the status of the top candidate(s) to “Request References External” (external candidate) or “Internal Reference Pending” (internal candidate).
- If the candidate is external, HR will finalize the references and forward to the hiring manager via email. If the candidate is internal, the hiring manager must contact the candidate to let them know they are a top candidate and will be contacting their current manager for a reference. The hiring manager must conduct an internal reference with the candidate’s current manager prior to an offer.
- If references are favorable and the hiring manager would like to proceed with an offer, they need to change the candidate’s status in Taleo to “Extend Offer”. This will notify the recruiter that they would like to move forward with the candidate and the recruiter will calculate an offer.
- Once an offer is calculated, the recruiter will follow up with the hiring manager to review the offer. The recruiter will also confirm who the supervising/collaborating physicians will be for this new hire. Once approved the hiring manager, the recruiter will contact the candidate to make an offer.
- Once the candidate accepts, the recruiter will notify the hiring manager via email and forward the required documents that must be completed by the hiring manager.
- The recruiter will notify provider enrollment and medical staff affairs via email of the new hire, and will forward their resume.
- The recruiter will create the new hire letter in Taleo and close the requisition.
- The recruiter will determine the required training that the new hire will need (APP NEO, Health Link, CPR, etc.) and will send the new hire a copy of their new hire letter and orientation schedule via email. The hiring manager will be cc’d on these emails.
- For UWMF locations only – The recruiter will notify the hiring manager of the required practice agreement that needs to be completed and returned prior to the new NP/PA seeing patients. This document will be send to the hiring manager via email.
- Provider Enrollment sets the new hire up with payers. Hiring managers must refer to the New Provider Checklist.
- Medical Staff Affairs will initiate the credentialing process (if applicable based on practice location).
- The recruiter will determine required trainings (Health Link Provider Training, UW Health NEO, APP NEO). All new APPs will attend UW Health New Employee Orientation (NEO) on day 1, and APP NEO on day 2.
- Hiring managers should refer to New Provider Checklist to complete all onboarding steps prior to the new APPs start date.
- An individualized department onboarding and orientation plan is highly encouraged. The UW Health APP Department Onboarding Toolkit provides various tools departments and hiring managers can use to onboard new or transitioning APPs.