We care about your health here at UWHC. When prescription drugs are not used correctly, they can lead to death. In fact, prescription drug misuse is the #1 cause of accidental death in the USA.
For your safety, all of our providers in the Emergency Department use these guidelines:
- We do not give narcotic pain medicine for chronic pain that is actively treated by another doctor. Chronic pain treatment requires ongoing management by the same provider, such as a primary care doctor or pain clinic, usually with a pain contract.
- We do not give prescriptions for Subutex, Suboxone or Methadone.
- We do not give refills of any narcotic prescriptions, even if lost or stolen.
- We do not give long-acting or controlled release narcotics (such as: OxyContin, MSContin, Duragesic, Methadone, Exalgo, Opana ER) for chronic pain.
- If you have been seen at another Madison area hospital, we may need to access those records in order to provide safe care. Your approval will be required.
- If you do not have a primary care doctor, you can request the assistance of a UWHC social worker to get connected with one.
Thank you for working with us to keep you, your loved ones, and our community safer.