Atrium Mini 500
The Atrium “Mini” does not require being connected to suction. Are often placed in patient with small pneumothorax and will be DISCHARGED.
Change Atrium 500 to 2nd Atrium 500
Just like Pleurevac except you don’t have to fill any chambers unless checking for air leak. Make sure it is clamped for the changeover and then unclamped at the end.
- -20 cm dry seal
- Has one way valve
- If pt to d/c with -20 sxn, hook to wall sxn for a minute so √ is always present in window
- If pt to d/c on waterseal do not hook 500 up to wall sxn. √ mark will be intermittent
- Keep below level of chest at ALL times
- If comes disconnected , pt go to ER
- Dressing same as CT
Emptying the Atrium 500
- Alcohol wipe the port at the front of the atrium 500 for 15 seconds
- Screw the newly opened syringe to the port
- Pull the plunger back on the syringe to draw the fluid out
- When the syringe is full, empty it into the toilet
- Repeat as needed
- Throw the syringe away and wipe the port off with an alcohol wipe again
Key Points for Setting up Atrium Mini 500:
- Connect tube (one way valve). Kit/Box contains variety of connectors
- No need for suction.
- If need to check for airleak:
- If fluid in collection chamber, just tip on side and look for bubbling in. No bubbling = No airleak
- If NO fluid in collection chamber, add10-20 mL sterile normal saline and follow procedure above (tip on side—observe for air leak).
- If need to empty contents-attached large syringe to port and suck out. If blocked with clots-add some water to flush out the clots and pour contents out.
- Patient Teaching-Keep attached at all times.
HFFY 6603 - Care after your chest tube is connected to the Atrium 500