For patients admitted with a primary diagnosis of asthma or recurrent wheezing, which includes but it not limited to extrinsic asthma, intrinsic asthma, exercise induced, cough variant, asthma unspecified, asthma with status asthmaticus or acute exacerbation:
- Prescribe Asthma Education
- The nurse assigned to the patient will provide Health Facts for You folder 3028 (About Asthma), and show the DVD Managing Your Asthma
- If there are concerns about the education provided or need to begin education, contact Lori Black, Clinical Nurse Specialist for General Pediatrics. She is available Monday through Friday during normal
- business hours. She can be reached at (608) 890-8341 or pager 4378. Her office is located on P5 south, room 5336.
- The primary service is responsible for completing the Asthma Action Plan and reviewing it with parents. Parents should receive a copy as part of the discharge process.
- It is important that the PCP and/or Peds Specialty Clinic appointments be made prior to discharge. If discharge occurs on a weekend, only a request can be made. Families should not be given the option of making their own appointments.
- All appointment information needs to be clearly documented on the Asthma Action Plan and Discharge Face sheet
- Lay terms should be used when completing the Asthma Action Plan