What is a Diskus?
A diskus holds asthma medicine as a powder to help lessen swelling inside the airways in your
How do I use a Diskus?
1. Before beginning the treatment, wash your hands with soap and warm water, or use anti-
bacterial hand gel, to reduce the risk of infection.
2. While holding the Advair® diskus in one hand, place the thumb of your other hand on the
grip and push away until the mouthpiece appears and snaps into place.
3. Hold the diskus level.
4. To load the dose, slide the lever away from you as far as it will go until it clicks. Do not
shake the diskus after loading it.
5. Breathe or blow out to empty the air out of your lungs. Never blow into the diskus
6. Put the mouthpiece between your teeth and close your lips.
7. Breathe in steady and deep.
8. Hold your breath for about 10 seconds.
9. Close the diskus.
10. Rinse your mouth with water and spit or brush your teeth.
How do I clean the diskus?
Use a dry tissue or cloth to clean the mouthpiece.
How many doses are left in the diskus?
There is a window on the diskus that shows how many doses are left. The numbers will be
change to red when there are 5 doses left. Your diskus is empty when the number is “0” in red.
The Spanish version of this Health Fact for You is #6746
Your health care team may have given you this information as part of your care. If so, please use it and call if you
have any questions. If this information was not given to you as part of your care, please check with your doctor. This
is not medical advice. This is not to be used for diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Because each
person’s health needs are different, you should talk with your doctor or others on your health care team when using
this information. If you have an emergency, please call 911. Copyright © 2/2017. University of Wisconsin Hospitals
and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#5740